FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ENSURING TOURIST SAFETY AMIDST ONGOING MINIBUS TAXI CONFLICT:
A MESSAGE FROM CAPE TOWN TOURISM CEO
CAPE TOWN, 8 August 2023 – Cape Town Tourism, one of the world’s leading tourism bodies, would like to assure our international partners and the global community that the safety and well-being of our tourists are our topmost concerns during the current minibus taxi conflict impacting certain parts of Cape Town.
We deeply care for our visitors, and in these unforeseen circumstances, we are taking decisive actions to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
Collaboration with Local Authorities:
Rest assured, we are working diligently with local authorities to address the minibus taxi conflict and maintain peace in our city. Our coordinated efforts aim to safeguard both tourists and residents alike.
Support for Employees in Tourism:
We recognize the challenges faced by employees in the tourism industry who rely on public transport for commuting. Our commitment extends to supporting them during these difficult times to ensure their well-being.
Alternative Transportation options to/from Airport:
As a proactive measure, we recommend exploring alternative transportation options to and from Cape Town International Airport, considering the current taxi conflict. This will ensure smooth travel for our valued visitors.
Learning from Other Global Cities:
As one of the world’s leading tourism bodies, we continually draw insights from successful approaches in other destinations to address challenges affecting tourism. By learning from their experiences, we aim to implement effective strategies for managing the current situation.
Guidance for Tourists:
While the situation is challenging, our local authorities are working diligently to address the issue and maintain peace in our city. We advise all tourists to take certain precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit to Cape Town.
If Traveling to Cape Town International Airport:
- Arrive Early: For domestic flights, we recommend arriving at least two hours before your scheduled departure time. For international flights, it is advisable to arrive at least four hours prior to departure. This will allow for adequate time to complete necessary check-in and security procedures.
- Stay Informed: Regularly check with your airline for flight updates. Follow credible news sources and official announcements from Cape Town Tourism for local situation updates. Stay connected with us on social media platforms – Twitter @capetowntourism, Instagram, and Facebook: @lovecapetown – for real-time information.
When Moving Around the City:
- Plan Ahead: Plan your routes in advance and check for any road closures or travel advisories. Allow extra time for commuting to account for potential delays.
- Safety First: Your safety is paramount. Avoid areas where protests are taking place and heed the advice of local authorities. If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsure, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Information Centre for guidance.
- Contact Us: For any inquiries, concerns, or assistance, please feel free to contact our Information Centre at 0861 322 223 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our dedicated team is here to support you throughout your journey.
A Reminder of Our Safety Resources:
- TravelWise by Cape Town Tourism: Equips you with essential tools and insights to ensure a responsible and secure travel experience.
- Download the Free Namola App: A safety response app that provides immediate assistance by pinpointing your location and connecting you with an emergency operator.
In times of uncertainty, it is our unity and resilience that define us as a community. Cape Town’s spirit remains unshaken, and we are committed to maintaining our reputation as a safe and welcoming destination for all.
By following the advice provided and staying tuned to our updates, you can enjoy the best that our city has to offer.
Enver Duminy, CEO at Cape Town Tourism, affirms, “Even amidst these challenges, the resilience of the tourism industry remains unwavering. We possess the expertise to navigate the current circumstances. Our valued visitors, rest assured that your safety is our unwavering priority. As the official destination marketing and management organization for the City of Cape Town, we’re fully committed to addressing these matters, continuously assessing the situation, and providing real-time updates.”
For Media Inquiries, Please Contact:
Briony Brookes Head of PR and Communications, Cape Town Tourism Email: Briony@capetown.travel
Phone: +27 84 654 0045