Going on vacation should be a time to relax and enjoy yourself, but preparing for your trip can become quite stressful. We want to take away some of your worries so you can focus on what matters: having the vacation of a lifetime in this beautiful city. Here is your complete packing checklist for your Cape Town vacation.
Get hold of a City Pass now for free entry to over 70 attractions in Cape Town
The clothing you pack ultimately depends on the time of year you’re visiting. Here’s a guide, broken down by season.
Summer (November – February)
- Light, cool clothing
- Bathing suits
- Sun hat
- Hiking gear or good walking shoes
- A good windbreaker-type jacket
- A light jacket and long pants for the occasional chilly evening
Autumn/fall (March – April)
- Lots of layers! The weather can change suddenly.
- A light winter coat
- Boots for chilly or wet days
- Light jackets or sweaters
- Long pants
Winter (May – July)
- A good warm coat
- Boots/waterproof shoes
- A scarf and gloves for cold evenings
- A few light, cool items for the odd sunny, warm day
- An umbrella and/or raincoat
Spring (August – October)
- Bathing suit
- Sun hat
- Layers for chilly evenings
- A good windbreaker
- Hiking gear or walking shoes
Medication and toiletries
South Africa has many great doctors and there are pharmacies all over Cape Town. You will have no trouble getting hold of medication or seeing a doctor if you get sick or injured. If you are on any medication, you may bring sufficient quantities for three months for own personal treatment. This needs to be accompanied by a letter or certified prescription from a registered physician.
You will be able to but all the toiletries you need with ease in Cape Town. If there is a particular product you use, it is better to bring these items with you as you won’t always be able to find the same brands as at home. Herbal products are restricted, and require a permit from the department of health. You also may not bring more than 50ml perfume and 250ml eau de toilette per person through customs.
- No more than 200 cigarettes and 20 cigars per person
- No more than 250g of cigarette or pipe tobacco per person
- No more than 50ml perfume and 250ml eau de toilette per person
- No more than 2 litres of wine per person
- No more than 1 litre in total of other alcoholic beverages per person
Planning a trip to Cape Town? Book flights, browse accommodation, and rent a car now to get the best rates. The Cape Town City Pass gives you access to over 70 of the top Cape Town attractions, tours, and things to see and do, including the popular hop on hop off City Sightseeing bus.
For inspiration and insider tips, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Tag #lovecapetown to share your pics with us, or subscribe to our newsletter to get the best Cape Town has to offer sent direct to your mailbox.