The Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands is not like most hotels in the city – the hotel is proud to have a 20 percent staff complement of deaf or hard of hearing professionals who have effortlessly integrated into various parts of the business.
The four-star hotel is changing and inspiring the lives of these individuals daily through their association with the Deaf Federation of South Africa. This organisation is dedicated to providing quality services, public accessibility and creating awareness of issues affecting deaf people in South Africa.
DeafSA’s provincial head office is attached to The Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands building and is home to approximately 15 permanent employees and numerous registered sign language interpreters. The hotel uses their services for sign language interpretation for deaf staff.
Several industry professionals and visitors have praised the hotel for its efforts in creating awareness, describing it as a fantastic educational tool for guests and hearing staff and an excellent place to learn sign language.
Making an impact through social media
View this post on Instagram
In commemoration of Deaf Awareness Month in September 2022, Cape Town Tourism created an Instagram reel at Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands to highlight the hotel’s incredible work. It was shared on the Love Cape Town social media platforms.
The video did not have sound and the deaf employees communicated through sign language. The goal was to create an immersive experience and help viewers identify with the plight of the deaf and hard of hearing. There were subtitles for our viewers.
In addition, The Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands is also involved in a string of green initiatives, including:
· Recycling is sorted from all hotel waste, including cans, bottles, cardboard and paper.
· Energy-efficient lighting is being phased throughout the hotel.
· The guest rooms’ electricity/power is on a key card system, which reduces electricity usage when guests are not in their rooms.
· Guest corridor lighting is 50% motion-activated, reducing energy consumption.
· To reduce towel replacements during longer stays, the hotel urges guests to reuse towels.
· There are flow restrictors installed on all taps in guest bedrooms and public areas.
· Low flow, water-efficient rain showers are installed in all bedrooms.
Subscribe to our emailer and unlock the hidden gems of this breathtaking holiday destination. Immerse yourself in the vibrant culture, pristine beaches, and iconic landmarks that Cape Town has to offer.
Don’t miss out on the adventure of a lifetime – join our mailing list now and let the journey begin!
"*" indicates required fields