Groot Constantia: A Wine Lover’s Paradise
Wine lovers travel far and wide to experience Groot Constantia – South Africa’s oldest wine estate. Groot Constantia has been producing wine of outstanding quality uninterruptedly since 1685 with its award-winning wines still celebrated around the world today.
The estate’s historic Grand Constance – a sweet wine from the Napoleonic era – is a source of great pride and can be purchased at the Cloete Cellar, the only place where it was ever produced. The Cloete Cellar also hosts a tasting room and a museum where a 195-year-old bottle of Grand Constance, brought back to its birthplace, is on display. Two more tasting rooms play host to decadent chocolate and wine pairings in addition to award-winning wines on offer.
Visitors are encouraged to enjoy the newly launched Visitor Route Experience to experience the historic Manor House Museum, original Cloete Cellar, a cellar tour and a wine tasting. The new Visitor Route Experience ticket includes a take home gift in the form of a Spiegalau Crystal wine glass.
The Simon’s and Jonkershuis restaurants at Groot Constantia offer visitors al fresco dining expertly paired with the estate’s award-winning wines. Romantic picnics and private dining opportunities make for a unique fine dining experience. Enjoy Simon’s Restaurant favourites such as crispy pork belly and delicious hamburgers in a setting between the lush vineyards, or browse a rustic yet elegant Cape Malay menu at Jonkershuis Restaurant set amongst ancient oak trees.
Groot Constantia facts and highlights:
- South Africa’s oldest wine producing estate founded in 1685 by Simon van der Stel.
- The estate has won over 100 top gold accolades and global awards in the past 10 years alone.
- Buy an all-inclusive Visitor Route Experience ticket in the Manor House and get to do a wine tasting in the original buildings, a full museum tour in the Cloete Cellar and Manor House, enjoy a cellar tour and receive a Spiegalau Crystal wine glass.
- Visit the original Cloete Cellar. The birthplace of Grand Constance – the sweet wine famously ordered by Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Visit two world-class restaurants: Jonkershuis Restaurant and Simon’s Restaurant.