The Cape Point concession (funicular, food shop and curio stores) will be reopening to the public on Friday, 18 September 2020. Cape Point staff will once again welcome visitors on weekends (Friday to Sunday) and public holidays from 09:00 to 16:00. The park is open to visitors daily from 08:00 to 16:00.
“We’ve been training and preparing and have implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff, says Cape Point Concession General Manager Celeste Bell.
- Eight people, including the operator, will be allowed per funicular ride to ensure physical distancing.
- The sit-down Two Oceans Restaurant will not be operating.
- The Food Shop will offer takeaway options with limited outside seating.
- Visitors are not permitted into the funicular or shops without a mask
- The facilities, including the funicular, will undergo a deep clean every day and will be sanitised after each trip.
- Floor guides will be present to guide visitors when queuing.
- Online bookings and ticket purchases of funicular tickets are encouraged.
- Hand sanitiser will be available throughout the facility.
“We are excited to reopen our doors to South Africans after five months of closure. I’m confident that our team is ready to get back into action,” said Brett Hendricks, GM for Thebe Tourism, the group that manages the tourist facilities at Cape Point.
For Tourism Month, the funicular will be running a September #LoveLocal special for South Africans where adults pay R65 for a return trip and kids go free.
SANParks gate entry procedures
- A questionnaire will be completed on arrival at the gate, as well as mandatory temperature screenings.
- Visitors with a temperature screening of 37.4 degrees Celsius and above will not be allowed access.
- Wearing a face mask is compulsory. No mask, no entry.
- It is imperative to bring along your South African Identification Document to qualify for the SA special entry rates (R80 for adults and R40 for kids). Electronic proof of SA ID on a phone is acceptable.
- SANParks now allows full vehicle capacity to enter. If a vehicle has a capacity of x4 then x4 may be in the car. If a vehicle has a capacity of x6 and there are x8 in the car we will regrettably not allow the car to enter. Vehicle capacity is listed on the licence disc on the car.
- Braais and picnics are not permitted as per COVID-19 regulations; The Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre and overnight hiking trail huts will remain closed.
Details of the Cape Point Concession’s Covid-19 health and safety protocols can be found on the website.