Save like a local: how visitors can help during Cape Town's drought
Cape Town is currently experiencing one of the worst droughts in recent history. The region is severely water-stressed, and this has an impact on both locals and tourists.
We need your help
We need you to save like a local, and keep your usage to under 87 litres per day. You can still have a fantastic holiday without wasting resources, and we ask that you take special care when you visit. We love Cape Town, and we want it to remain a wonderful destination for future generations. If we all work to conserve our precious resources, we can make a big difference!
How this may affect your holiday
While we’re doing all we can to ensure Cape Town remains a world-class destination and your stay is comfortable, there are a few ways this might affect you as a visitor. Some accommodation establishments have closed their pools, saunas and steam rooms, and removed bath plugs, to limit non-essential water use. Please check with your chosen accommodation. We thank you for understanding.
10 tips to save like a local
- Choose to stay in accommodation that has water-saving measures in place. Ask about this when you book.
- Re-use your towels instead of asking for a new one daily.
- Try to flush the toilet as little as possible. Each flush uses between 6 and 14 litres, depending on the kind of toilet.
- Use a cup to rinse your mouth when you brush your teeth rather than letting the taps run.
- Limit your showers to 2 minutes, and avoid bathing. Download these 2 Minute Shower Songs by local bands to make keeping track of shower time fun!
- Report leaking taps and toilets as soon as you notice them.
- Avoid washing clothes until you have a full load’s worth of laundry.
- Take a dip in the ocean instead of swimming pools, and maybe even spare yourself a shower.
- If possible, use a dishwasher to clean dishes. just make sure you only run it when it is full.
- Use this nifty calculator to make sure you’re helping to save water.
For more information visit capetown.gov.za/thinkwater