View your 'My Cape Town' collection through newly added navigational item.
As an international payment network, UnionPay adheres to the values of “shared growth and win-win cooperation”, and is committed to be an internationally competitive leader and innovator in the global payment industry. UnionPay shares growth with its partners and delivers secure, convenient, and cost-effective payment services for UnionPay cardholders around the world.
Currently, UnionPay serves the world’s largest cardholder base.
UnionPay cards have become the commonly used payment method of Chinese outbound tourists, and are gaining popularity among an increasing number of global consumers.
UnionPay’s Rapid-expanding Global Network
UnionPay International (UPI) is a subsidiary of China UnionPay focused on UnionPay’s global business. UnionPay is an international payment network.
Relying on UnionPay’s rich market, brand and client resources in the Chinese mainland, and facilitated by the growing internationalization of RMB as well as the rapid-increasing demand for cross-border payments, UnionPay International keeps expanding its global acceptance footprint, and plays an important role in the global payment industry.
UnionPay’s global acceptance network not only provides support for Chinese cardholders’ overseas card-using, but also serves an increasing number of overseas cardholders. UPI has achieved significant progresses in terms of global acceptance:
- Global Issuance Volume
So far, UnionPay’s global acceptance footprint has expanded to 160 countries and regions, and
countries and regions overseas have issued UnionPay cards. The cumulative number of UnionPay cards issued globally has exceeded 5.8 billion, over 58 million of which are issued outside the Chinese mainland.
- Number of ATMs and Merchants
To date, the cumulative number of merchants accepting UnionPay cards in overseas markets has exceeded 18 million, while the cumulative number of ATMs has almost reached 1.3 million. (35 million merchants and over 2 million ATMs around the world accept UnionPay cards.)
- Transaction Volume
In 2015, the total volume of inter-bank transactions through the UnionPay network reached RMB 53.9 trillion (approx. $8.63 trillion), with a year-on-year growth of 31.2%.
- Global Acceptance and Issuance
UnionPay cards are accepted at merchants with the UnionPay signage around the world. UPI consistently improves its acceptance network in key markets:
- In Hong Kong, Macau, Mongolia and Cuba, UnionPay cards are accepted at almost all merchants and ATMs. Statistics show that by the end of 2015, every Hong Kong resident has two UnionPay cards on average, and UnionPay credit cards takes over half of the newly issued credit cards during the past two years.
- In Taiwan, almost all ATMs and over 70% of the local merchants accept UnionPay cards.
- In South Korea, about 70,000 ATMs accept UnionPay cards for cash withdrawal. UnionPay cards are accepted at all merchants that support signature payment, and 1.63 million merchants that support PIN payment. All taxis in South Korea also accept UnionPay cards. Moreover, over 60,000 online merchants based in Korea support UnionPay online payment. These merchants cover cosmetics, clothes, food, groceries and mother-child products. UnionPay is the only card brand with a PIN acceptance network in South Korea. To date, over 19 million UnionPay cards have been issued in South Korea; on average, one of every five Korean people has two UnionPay cards. 12,000 POS terminals in South Korea accept UnionPay QuickPass, covering Doota Shopping Center, GS25 convenience stores, Wastons and Gongcha tea houses.
- In Southeast Asia, all the 10 ASEAN countries have accepted and issued UnionPay cards. In Singapore, almost all ATMs and over 80% merchants accept UnionPay cards. In Thailand, almost all ATMs and about 70% merchants accept UnionPay cards, while over one million UnionPay cards have been issued. In Cambodia, about 90% of ATMs and over 90% of merchants accept UnionPay cards.
- In Pakistan and Laos, UnionPay has become the dominant bankcard brand through massive card-issuing in recent years. Over 1.7 million UnionPay cards have been issued in Pakistan, and over 600,000 UnionPay cards have been issued in Laos, accounting for over 70% of all the bankcards issued in the market.
- In Europe, UnionPay’s acceptance footprint has improved substantially. Almost all ATMs in Switzerland and Austria accept UnionPay cards.
- In the Far Eastern Europe and Central Asia, 350,000 merchants and 47,000 ATMs accept UnionPay cards in eight countries, namely Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Over 1.75 million UnionPay cards have been issued in these markets.
- In the United States, cardholders can withdraw cash with UnionPay cards at almost all ATMs, many of which provide interface in Chinese. Over 80% of the merchants accept UnionPay credit cards for signature payment, and merchants equipped with PIN pads accept UnionPay debit cards for PIN payment.
- UnionPay has achieved great progress in the South Pacific markets. Its acceptance footprint has expanded substantially in Australia, New Zealand, and 9 island countries, namely Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Kiribati and East Timor.
- 48 countries in Africa accept payment and cash withdrawal with UnionPay cards. Congo (Kinshasa) and Mauritius have issued UnionPay debit cards, prepaid cards, and commercial cards, covering major airports, hotels, scenic spots, and featured stores most frequented by tourists. In South Africa, 4 major banks now accepting UnionPay cards, being FNB, Standard Bank, Absa and Nedbank. It is expected that the local acceptance coverage of UnionPay cards in South Africa will expand to over 80% by the end of 2016.
- Increasing Popularity among Overseas Customers
In the Chinese mainland, UnionPay has the biggest acceptance network, with almost all POS terminals and ATMs accepting UnionPay cards, covering various types of daily consuming places. Meanwhile, UnionPay International attaches great importance to the localization and cross-regional use of UnionPay cards.
- Residents in Hong Kong and South Korea have already got used to using UnionPay cards. They frequently use UnionPay cards both for daily spending and international traveling.
- In the cross-regional usage of UnionPay cards, there have been linkage effects in the Northeast Asia markets (Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Mongolia) and the Southeast Asian and the South Pacific markets. In 2015, Hong Kong-issued UnionPay cards are used in over 110 countries and regions, while UnionPay cards issued in South Korea are used in over 70 countries and regions.
Partnership Opportunities for Tourism and Retail industry
Many more tourists worldwide are traveling independently and discovering cities and countries in depth. UnionPay International has included many culture and entertainment vendors in its all-year-long global promotional campaigns to enrich the cardholders’ travel experience. The campaigns are namely global airport duty free campaign, global travel destination campaign and global shopping spree campaign.
For any businesses in the tourism and retail industry, to participate UnionPay campaign is free of charge. We are looking at a discretional offer that you are willing to extend to our global cardholder base and to accept UnionPay at your pay-point.
We promote travel and retail services providers through our vast marketing channels, local and international. We succeed through memberships and partnerships with banks, tour operators, online operators, governments and tourism authorities around the world.
For the latest UnionPay offers around the world, see http://unionpayintl.com/en/enserviceCenter/englobalOffer
For the latest promotional campaign details and how to participate, please contact
Antanaska Pamatarov (Cape Town)
Cell: 073 269 9062 Email: Marketingfirstname.lastname@example.org
Xing Gan (Johannesburg)
Cell: 084 086 1001 Email: Marketingemail@example.com
Partner with UnionPay to reach the world’s largest cardholder base!
Friends Of Cape Town Tourism
- phone 084 086 1001