The 2011 Freedom to Create Exhibition donation will continue to inspire Cape Town
Freedom to Create, an international organisation that encourages the use of arts to inspire social change around the world, celebrated their annual programme in Cape Town this year. The week-long community outreach events culminated in a spectacular Freedom to Create Prize Awards Ceremony and concert at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden on 19 November 2011.
Showcasing 60 press and artistic photographs by this year’s Freedom to Create Prize participants, the organisation presented a unique open-air exhibition along Government Avenue in the Company’s Garden. By bringing the exhibition outdoors to this popular public heritage park in Cape Town’s central business district, Freedom to Create hopes to engage new audiences in dialogue around pressing social issues, which the exhibition brings to light. The exhibits will be on display until 18 December 2011.
As a contribution towards Cape Town Tourism’s plans to regenerate key areas of the city as creative hubs to showcase talent and inspire the development of innovative concepts for creative expression, Freedom to Create announced the donation of their 2011 exhibition to Cape Town Tourism. The two organisations will retain their close link and continue to work together to transform lives through creativity.
Cape Town Tourism encourages Capetonians to take a look at the exhibition, especially during the switching on the lights ceremony on Sunday 4 December and during the Community Chest Twilight Team Run on Tuesday 6 December.
Priti Devi, spokesperson for Freedom to Create said, “We believe that this exhibition has excellent potential to encourage creative initiatives and inspire the people of Cape Town to harness their talent through the examples of the courage and creativity of the artists whose works are on display. Freedom to Create is very grateful for the opportunity to leave behind a creative footprint in this beautiful, vibrant city.”
Says Mariëtte du Toit-Helmbold, Cape Town Tourism CEO, “Making cities more liveable through design and creativity is a core focus of Cape Town’s World Design Capital 2014 designation. The incorporation of the legacy of Freedom to Create into the Freedom Walk will have longevity far beyond 2011 into 2014 and connect Cape Town to exhibitions in other international cities of innovation and creativity.”
About the exhibition
The 2011 Freedom to Create Exhibition combines powerful artworks with important messaging and is a physical manifestation of how creativity is being used to influence social change around the world. It addresses the importance of empowering dreams to transform lives, and celebrates the power of the arts to confront barriers to creativity and prosperity.
Central to our work is the belief that communities themselves hold the power to creatively address and find solutions to the issues that our exhibitions bring to light. Participating artists are given the opportunity to share their work on an international platform, among members of the global art world and in humanitarian sectors. Previous Freedom to Create exhibitions have been held in London, New York, Harare, Kabul, Cairo, Mumbai, Sarajevo and Xiamen.
A number of the 2011 Freedom to Create Exhibition artists made international headlines this year for their courageous and often dangerous work. They include African, Middle Eastern and Asian artists who have pursued freedom and universal human rights in the face of political oppression.
For further information on the vibrant Freedom to Create festival that was held in Cape Town, please visit: www.freedomtocreate.com.
Note to editors on Freedom to Create:
- Freedom to Create is an international organisation that encourages the use of creativity and the arts to inspire social change around the world.
- The Freedom to Create Prize was established in 2008 to celebrate the courage and creativity of artists, and the positive influence of their work to promote social justice and inspire the human spirit.
- The Freedom to Create exhibitions showcase select visual art entries from each year’s prize nominations, providing the artists an international platform to share their talent with new audiences around the world, to encourage dialogue around pressing social issues and inspire social change.
- The Freedom to Create Forum is a global platform for dialogue between innovative thinkers to identify sustainable creative solutions that create inclusive opportunities for women to build prosperity for themselves, their families and communities.
Note to editors on Cape Town Tourism:
- Cape Town Tourism is a voluntary industry association with more than 2 500 members.
- Cape Town Tourism is one of the largest and most representative tourism industry associations in the world, recognised by the United Nations World Tourism Organization as the world’s best.
- Cape Town Tourism’s structure means it represents and works with the private tourism sector while remaining in a dynamic partnership with local and provincial government to enhance tourism to the Cape.
For media enquiries about Freedom to Create, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +65 621 05560.
For further information about Cape Town, please contact Cape Town Tourism’s PR and communication manager, Skye Grove, email@example.com or see www.capetown.travel.
Released for Cape Town Tourism by Rabbit in a Hat Communications, Tammy White, +27 (0)21 448 9705, +27 (0)73 202 5041, firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require additional or high resolution images. Please credit Freedom to Create for the use of these images)