MONTHLY UPDATE NOVEMBER 2013
Marketing Services Update:
November announced the start of the peak Summer period, with the Marketing Team is gearing up to create awareness around all the events and attractions that make Cape Town such a great summer destination – especially with the focus on WDC 2014.
Some of the key highlights in November include:
- Representing Cape Town along with Wesgro at WTM 2013 in London from 4 – 7 November
- Hosting 14 international and local media groups over the month
- The ‘Send Your Facebook Campaign’ won a Gold Bookmark Award
- WDC 2014 section created on the website. Click here to view
- An ROI of R 1,242,709.64 for media publicity
- A total of 52 events were supported this month
- CTT was represented during the SAT Netherlands Roadshow from 28 Oct – 1 Nov 2013
- The Industry Newsletter for November had an opening rate of approximately 20.3%
- The website had a total of 94 880 visitors with 225 781 page views
- Visitors to the site spent about 02:50 average dwell time
- Social Media: The Love Cape Town Facebook page grew with 3360 likes and now stands 299,047. The Twitter account grew with 1240 followers and now has 34 492 in total
The Walking Tour App had 234 downloads this month and 1 967 downloads to date
Visitor Services Update:
The number of over-the-counter interactions during November 2013 shows an increase of 10% compared to last month. The year on year visitor interactions in the VIC’s however shows a decrease of 10%. A total of 24 800 over-the-counter interactions were recorded, of which 10 558 were within the CTT managed VIC’s.
During November, 44% of visitors were from the domestic market and 56% from international market.
The top three contributors to domestic visitors are:
- Western Cape (75%, 1% up from the previous month)
- Gauteng (10%, 2% up from the previous month)
- KwaZulu Natal (4%, same as previous month)
The top three contributors to international visitors are:
- Germany (28%, 3% up from the previous month)
- UK (13%, 2% down from the previous month)
- USA (7%, 1% down from the previous month)
Telephone and email enquiries for the network showed an 11% increase month on month and 3% increase year on year. Total number of enquiries received for the network was 12 729, of which 11 873 were telephonic enquiries and 856 emails.
398 Bookable enquiries were received by the CTT network; this is a 33% increase month on month and 15% decrease year on year. The team successfully converted 371 of the enquiries to confirmed bookings which is a conversion rate of 93%.
Industry Services Update:
During November numerous exciting proposals were submitted by various HDI SMME’s to benefit from the newly established Board Development Fund. After undergoing a selections process, four businesses were shortlisted to present their plans to a panel. The two successful businesses have now been chosen to receive R50 000 each as well as other non-financial support to grown their tourism business.
A total of 27 new members were recruited during November, which makes the total Cape Town Tourism membership base 1371 at the end of November. A total of 284 are emerging entrepreneurs (EE) and 93 of these HDI's.