Cape Town Tourism members shine
Being a member of Cape Town Tourism offers a wealth of opportunities and links your business to a dynamic tourism network. Membership is available to all sectors of tourism and related service industries as well as business at large.
In recent months Cape Town Tourism members have achieved some noteworthy accolades.
We wish to congratulate the following Cape Town Tourism members for their amazing achievements in the past months:
BVS Transport Consultants:
Brendon van Stavel, owner of BVS Transport Consultants is the preferred chauffeur service for Shell South Africa’s Cape Town office. BVS Transport Consultants was nominated for outstanding HSSE performance on the 4 November 2011 .
This nomination means BVS has outshined many service providers and staff around South Africa in transporting staff, visitors and senior officials alike in a safe manner with zero incidents, zero loss, damage or harm to anyone.
The nomination was forwarded by a senior safety advisor to a panel for the final selection process.
The award was presented to Van Stavel by the country chairman and vice-president of Shell South Africa Bonang Mohale at a prestigious gala awards evening in Johannesburg.
Southern Africa’s responsible tourism awards, the Imvelo Awards, were announced on 9 November 2011, World Responsible Tourism Day. Cape Town-based companies were well represented, comprising 12 of the 38 finalists and winning six of 14 awards (with three Cape Town finalists also part of a 7th award given to their hotel group and one finalist being highly commended).
The Table Mountain Aerial Cableway was the overall winner of the 2011 Imvelo Awards while Backpack & Africa Travel Centre won in two categories.
The Cape Town award winners were the following:
- Best Single Resource Management Programme – Waste: Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town hotel
- Best Single Resource Management Programme – Emerging Winner: The Backpack & Africa Travel Centre
- Best Social Involvement Programme – Emerging Winner: African Impact
- Investor in People Award: Vineyard Hotel & Spa
- Best Practice – Economic Empowerment – Emerging Winner: The Backpack & Africa Travel Centre
- Overall Winner: Table Mountain Aerial Cableway
Cape Town shared in the following award, with three finalists being part of the winning hotel group:
- Most Empowered Tourism Business: Southern Sun Hotel Interests (includes three Cape Town finalists)
- Most Empowered Tourism Business – Highly Commended: Table Bay Hotel
Congratulations also go to the other Cape Town finalists, each proven leaders in responsible tourism in their own right:
- Awol Tours, Cape Grace hotel, Cape Town International Convention Centre, Garden Court Eastern Boulevard, Southern Sun Newlands, Townhouse Hotel & Conference Centre