Student accommodation

Smuts Hall is a men's residence at the University of Cape Town (UCT). There's a common belief amongst UCT students that if you haven't started studying seriously when the ivy starts turning colour in the autumn, you won't pass your year-end exams. Photo courtesy Ian Barbour

Cape Town has a number of establishments that offer excellent value-for-money accommodation to international and local students alike. For more information about these, visit or call: +27 (0)21 650 4934. 

Student accommodation starts from around R2 500 per month per person, depending on which residential area you wish to live in. You can also source accommodation advice from the institution through which you have enrolled.

Popular student areas in Cape Town include Rondebosch, Mowbray, Observatory and the city centre.

If you need somewhere to stay for a few days when you first arrive in Cape Town, browse our accommodation database of certified providers.

There are many accommodation options available for students, from home-stays to on-site living. Shared living is popluar as well. Photo courtesy LaL Language Centre

Student accommodation tips

The LaL Language Centre offers accomodation at its learning centres. Photo courtesy LaL Language Centre

• View the place before moving in
• Meet the people with whom you will be staying, if you are sharing
• Meet your landlord who will receive your rent
• Find the right location
• Be advised you will pay market prices
• Read your lease agreement very carefully
• Make sure the accommodation is furnished or unfurnished, according to what you are looking for
• Check if water and electricity is included or if you must pay that separately as these are often excluded from rent. Also check if there are any other exclusions.
• Does your accommodation have internet facilities?
• Off-street parking is a big bonus in Cape Town if you have a vehicle
• You will need to pay a deposit of a month's rent or more, which can be withheld by your landlord at the end of your lease if you have damaged the property in any way.
• If there is any damage to the property before you move in, document this with photographs and send them to your landlord.