Research and statistics
Cape Town Tourism collates visitor and tourism industry statistics and surveys on a regular basis. This information is used to assist the industry to plan and be informed about the ever-changing tourism market and global trends.
United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) World Tourism Barometer 2013
For previous versions of the World Tourism Barometer, you can visit http://mkt.unwto.org/en/barometer and request the document in question.
Tourism in South Africa
- South African Tourism Annual Report 2011
- South African Tourism Index Quarter 1 2012
- South African Tourism Index Quarter 2 2012
- South African Tourism Index Quarter 3 2012
Tourism in the Western Cape
The official tourism statistics for Cape Town and the Western Cape are compiled and analysed by Wesgro, the provincial marketing body for the Western Cape.
- Wesgro Destination Performance Report 2011
- Western Cape Tourism Barometer Q3 2012 (July – September) : Attractions
- Western Cape Tourism Barometer Q3 2012 (July – September) : Regions
- Western Cape Tourism Barometer Q3 2012 (July – September) : Trends
Tourism in Cape Town
- City of Cape Town June 2010 Economic Value of Tourism Report
- Niche Market Study
- Responsible Tourism Policy and Action Plan
Cape Town accommodation performance review and forecast
Cape Town Tourism appointed Horwath HTL, a consulting specialist in the hotel, tourism and leisure industries, to conduct our monthly accommodation performance survey. The purpose of the monthly survey is to provide Cape Town Tourism with market intelligence regarding the historical and anticipated performance of the accommodation segment within the Cape Town Metropole.
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report June & July 2012
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report August 2012
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report September 2012
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report October 2012
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report November 2012
- Accommodation Perfomance Review and Forecast Report December 2012
- Accommodation Performance Review and Forecast Report January 2013
- Accommodation Performance Review and Forecast Report February 2013
- Accommodation Performance Review and Forecast Report March 2013
Cape Town Monthly Industry Dashboard
Cape Town Tourism has created a Monthly Industry Dashboard in an effort to provide our industry members with a snapshot of tourism performance in Cape Town that is available within a shorter time frame than quarterly figures. Tourism performance is measured along key indicators of the number of visitor arrivals at Cape Town International Airport; the Occupancy Rate, Average Room Rate (ARR) and Revenue Per Available Room (RevPar) achieved by accommodation establishments in the Metropole as well as the number of visitors received at top tourism attractions measured year on year i.e. comparing February 2013 to February 2012.
Please note that the dashboard is intended as a snapshot only and a way to keep our finger on the pulse of tourism in Cape Town.
- Cape Town Monthly Industry Dashboard January 2013
- Cape Town Monthly Industry Dashboard February 2013
If you are looking for a specific report on Cape Town or tourism market trends, please do not hesitate to contact our Research & Communications Coordinator on email@example.com for assistance.