January 13, 2009
Vote for Table Mountain to be one of the ‘New7Wonders of Nature’
Photo courtesy of yeejeh
Cape Town is an iconic city – hard to sum it up in one word, but iconic comes close. The most famous of our beloved Mother City’s icons is Table Mountain and now it has been selected to represent South Africa in the New7Wonders of Nature (N7W) global campaign, which aims to determine the top seven wonders of nature chosen by the public.
Cape Town Tourism and the Cable Way Company have backed the nomination officially and Table Mountain has come through the first round to feature among the top 77 nominees.
I am confident that Table Mountain can be one of the top seven wonders of nature – as confident as when we started a public voting campaign to get Cape Town onto the new Monopoly World Edition board game. The public and lovers of Cape Town from all over the world joined forces and Cape Town came third on the board!
This is another awesome opportunity to get behind Cape Town and vote. Campaigns like these create huge awareness for our destination, build civic pride and confidence among citizens and are good fun!
New7Wonders of Nature follows on from the original seven wonders of the world voting campaign, which counted more than 100-million votes from all over the world and chose the following seven attractions: Chichen Itza, Mexico; Christ Redeemer, Brazil; Colosseum, Italy; Taj Mahal, India; Great Wall of China; Machu Picchu, Peru; and Petra, Jordan.
Some 430 nominations from 224 countries were submitted by half a million people within the first few months of the new campaign.
The top 77 were sifted from 261 qualified national and multinational nominees and announced on 7 January 2009. Other South African nominee sites included the Cape of Good Hope, Kruger National Park and Vredefort Crater.
Table Mountain will be competing against other international iconic sites, including the Grand Canyon, Loch Ness, the Danube, the Dead Sea, the Great Barrier Reef, Iguazu Falls, Mont Blanc, and Niagara Falls.
The public have until 7 July 2009 to vote like crazy for their favourite New7Wonders of Nature at www.new7wonders.com.
Thereafter the New7Wonders of Nature panel of experts, headed by the former Director-General of UNESCO, Professor Federico Mayor, will choose 21 finalists, which will be announced on 21 July 2009.
The 21 finalists will then enter a final round of public polling continuing until 2011, when the final selection of the New7Wonders of Nature is made.
HOW TO VOTE:
- To vote for Table Mountain as one of the New7Wonders of Nature, follow the link http://www.new7wonders.com.
- Once on the home page you will see the call to vote.
- Once you have followed that link you will be able to vote. You have seven votes.
- To make it easy, the nominees are sorted into continents and regions. First, select the continent and then click on a nominee in the drop-down menu. You must select seven different nominees. Then click “submit”.
- Once you have cast your vote you will receive a confirmation email and your vote will not be counted unless you follow the email link to confirm your selections. Please make sure that you provide your correct email address as this is the only way your vote can be confirmed.
So let the count-down begin and vote with me for our favourite icon, Table Mountain!