April 11, 2009
Two Oceans Marathon 2009 photos
2009 Two Oceans Marathon photos from Chapman’s Peak, courtesy of John Maarschalk.
Almost 7000 runners took part in this year’s Two Oceans Marathon, a gruelling 56km ultra-marathon, often dubbed the “world’s most beautiful marathon”. Both the men’s and women’s finishes were very exciting, with John Wachira just edging out last year’s winner Marco Mambo in the men’s marathon, and Russian twins Elena and Oleysa Nurgalieva walking over the finish line first together (the judges eventually deciding that Elena had put her foot down first and declaring her the winner). More than 13000 runners – a record field – also took part in the Two Oceans Half Marathon this year.
1. John Wachira (Central Gauteng) 3:10:06
2. Marco Mambo (Zimbabwe) 3:10:52
3. Mapisela Ntlotsoeu (Lesotho) 3:11:56
1. Elena Nurgalieva (Russia) 3:40:43
2. Oleysa Nurgalieva (Russia) 3:40:43
3. Samwu Kilusu (Zimbabwe) 3:58:47
Check individual results on the official Two Oceans website, www.twooceansmarathon.org.za.
Images © John Maarschalk 2009