February 24, 2014
Things to see and do in the Overberg
The Overberg is just 45 minutes outside of Cape Town, but it almost feels as if you are in a whole different world. The Overberg region encompasses Elgin, Hermanus, Botrivier, Gansbaai, Greyton, Theewaterskloof, Stanford, Caledon, Agulhas and Struisbaai. In these regions there are a number of things to do, including visiting wine farms, dining at great restaurants, short and long stays at luxury and budget accommodation, whale watching and beautiful coastlines stretching for miles.
The name comes from the words Over 't Berg, meaning "over the (Hottentots-Holland) mountain" and is a reference to the region's location to Cape Town. Read on for things to do in this beautiful region of South Africa.
The area lies along the Western Cape Province's south coast between the Cape Peninsula and the Garden Route in the east. The Overberg has always been considered the breadbasket of the Cape and is largely given to grain farming, however there are regions such as Elgin which are home to some of the country’s most outstanding fruit farms. The major towns are Hermanus, Caledon, Bredasdorp and Swellendam and the region includes Cape Agulhas - the southermost point of Africa. The landscape is dominated by gently to moderately undulating hills enclosed by mountains and the ocean.
We’ve compiled a list of activities in the area for you to enjoy.
Elgin is the second largest supplier of fruit in South Africa, and is home to a number of beautiful award-winning wine farms. There are also many outdoor adventure activities to take part in. See below for activities in the region:
- Galileo Farm – For those who love Bass Fishing, this is for you!
- Tri-Activ Lodge – corporate events, business and leisure travel adventure activities
- Adventure Wine Farms – travel in a 4x4 open canopy game viewer tasting delicious wines, seeing some sights and enjoying a delicious picnic!
- Nature Discovery Tours – go Quad biking in Elgin!
If you’re a fan of beautiful views, the ocean, delicious wines, whale-watching and great food then Hermanus is for you. This ‘small’ seaside town close to Cape Town has everything. Our top recommended activities are:
- A golf getaway at The Marine Hotel, Hermanus
- Or go eat some great seafood at Collection McGrath
- La Fontaine - a 4 star hotel offering access to a number of different activities on in the Hermanus region.
- Hornbill House – Ceramic studio, gallery and garagiste winery at the entrance of the Hemel-en-Aarde valley
- Hermanus Whale Cruises: A Great cultural tour to add to traditional whale watching outings
- Southern Right Charters: Boat-based Whale watching
- Gourmet Wine Tours: Experience wine farms and restaurants in the Overberg and Winelands with a specialist guide
- Daytrippers: Whale Watching bike tours in Hermanus
When in Gansbaai, you simply must try:
- Crayfish Lodge - Experience panoramic ocean views just minutes from beach, with a heated pool. We suggest combining the Lodge stay with activity coastline walks and land-based whale watching.
- Whale and Bird Watching: go Whale or Bird watching in the Gansbaai area and experience these peaceful and majestic creatures right from the ocean, without disturbing their natural behavior.
- White Shark Cage Diving - Shark cage diving is a highly popular activity in the Western Cape region, and you will find a number of operators in the Overberg region.