May 13, 2013
Countdown to the 2013 Gugulethu Wine Festival in Cape Town begins!
It’s May in the Mother City ... and you know what that means, don’t you? It’s time for the third annual TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival, which runs from Friday May 24 to Saturday May 25, 2013.
Since its start back in 2011, this popular event on the rooftop of the Gugulethu shopping mall has grown to be a huge highlight on the Mother City’s social calendar. And this year’s festival is set to be even bigger and better than before.
Festival co-founders and local entrepreneurs Mzoli Ngcawuzele (owner of Mzoli's Place in Gugulethu) and Lungile Mbalo are promising visitors a divine wine festival, while also celebrating Africa Day, which falls on May 25, 2013.
Says Ngcawuzele, “We look forward to this festival and invite all our Cape Town suburbs to come and learn something about our heritage wines and each other. This festival is beautiful, safe and an amazing experience. It is truly a mixture of colours and cultures, all with something in common pulling us together; it is our love of wine and its amazing ability to make us see what is important in life.”
A fun addition to the 2013 festival includes a complimentary hair-styling service in the Quay 5 beauty lounge, courtesy of ghd, as festival-goers treat their taste buds to a glass of Quay 5’s Fruity Fresh White, Floral Fresh Blush or Berry Fresh Red ... perfect for a girls’ day out.
Those of you who have danced until late into the night and sipped premium wines in the heart of vibrant Gugulethu will know what to expect, but as the countdown to the wine divine event of the year begins, here’s what newbies need to know:
- Getting there: You will find the festival on the rooftop of the Gugulethu Square Mall on the corners of NY 1 and NY 6. Be responsible and don’t drink and drive – book a shuttle with Camissa, Africa Without Borders or Cape Friendly Tours via the Cape Town Tourism visitor contact call centre; or catch a ride with our trusted transport services, Rikki’s and the Green Cab.
- The talent: Attending the Gugulethu Wine Festival is a bit like walking along Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, Mzanzi-style – everywhere you look, you’re bound to see a popular local celeb, be it MasterChef South Africa Judge Pete Goffe-Wood at the scrumptious Nederburg Taste Theatre, or musos from Marimba Vibrations and Planet Lindela in the DStv Entertainment Lounge.
- The Wine: The crème de la crème of local winemakers will once again be exhibiting at this year’s festival. Keep an eye out and prepare your buds for a taste sensation like no other from the likes of TOPS, Nederberg, JC le Roux and 4th Street.
- Money matters: Entry into this delicious event is R90 per person (tickets are available at Webtickets or one of Cape Town Tourism’s Visitor Information Centres), but remember to take extra cash for purchasing those must-have bottles of fabulous local wine, as well as for lunch or dinner that will be available at the mouth-wateringly good TOPS Food Fun and Chillout Zone.
- Stay the night: Combine your weekend of divine wine fun with a Thompsons Holidays #LoveCapeTown city break package, or spend the night at our preferred accommodation spots, including Resting Buddies and Backyard Lodge.
Still not convinced that you should attend this premier wine event in the Mother City? Have a look at the video below of the 2012 festival for a taste of what you’re missing:
Well, now you’re set for the Gugulethu Wine Festival. Bottoms up and see you there!