April 13, 2012
Tenting, camping and glamping in Cape Town
Camping holidays, camper vans and tented accommodation no longer needs to be associated with cold showers and canned beans. The increased demand for, and supply of, luxury tented accommodation has helped standard camping to evolve into glamping, which is glamorous camping. Now that’s my cup of tea…
We have rounded up a selection of the best camp sites in Cape Town, ranging from the rustic, back-to-basic experience to a luxurious urban safari.
Top six camping picks in the Mother City:
1. The Hoerikwaggo tented camps managed by SANParks, namely Smitswinkel, Silvermine, Slangkop and Orangekloof, are located along the Hoerikwaggo Hiking Trail that reaches from Table Mountain to Cape Point.
Price: Base rates for tented units, accommodating two people, start at R440 per night.
2. Ashanti Lodge Gardens offers a small campsite for those visitors who carry their home on their back, and is within walking distance of the city centre. Guests can make use of the Lodge’s facilities for their convenience but it’s important to note that camping space is allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
Price: The rates start at R75 per night.
3. Clara Anna Fontein is a private game reserve located in the Durbanville wine valley, just 20 minutes drive from the city centre. Embark on a game drive to see blue wildebeest, zebra, springbok, eland etc. and retire to the luxurious tented safari camp located in a poplar forest. The tented camp is only available for group bookings of 10 or more adults on a package basis, which includes a ‘braai’ for dinner, accommodation and breakfast.
Price: The rate is R690 per person per night DBB.
4. The Ou Skip Resort and Chalets offer visitors 206 caravan sites and 12 chalets located in 25 hectares of parkland, a stone’s throw away from Melkbosstrand on the Atlantic Coast. For a heady dose of camping nostalgia – complete with enormous swimming pool, communal ‘braai’ areas and pool room – plan your next beach holiday at Ou Skip.
Price: The nightly rate for a camping site, based on two people, starts at R110 per night.
5. Imhoff Park is located in the seaside village of Kommetjie, fronting onto the pristine Long and Noordhoek Beaches. It is a short drive from the city centre and Constantia Winelands, and enjoys beautiful views of Chapman’s Peak in the distance.
Price: The nightly rate for a camping site, based on two people, starts at R130 per night.
6. The Airstream Rooftop Trailer Park on the roof of the Grand Daddy Hotel, in popular Long Street, is camping at its best for creatives, the curious and adventurous! Each of the Airstream trailers’ interiors have been designed by a different creative spirit resulting in tongue-in-cheek themes, such as Afro-funk, Goldilocks and the Three Bears and Love of Lace to name a few.
Price: The nightly rate for an airstream trailer starts at R1 455 including breakfast.
*The rates quoted are for entry level camping facilities, are seasonal and subject to change.