November 17, 2009
Summer sunsets in the city
Camps Bay sunset, photo courtesy Neil Howard
“It was the cooling hour, just when the rounded red sun sinks down behind the azure hill…”
Cape Town is a city of such magnificent natural beauty that one would be justified in quoting Lord Byron when speaking of it – more so because this specific poem speaks of a city with a mountain to one side and a deep, calm sea to the other.
There are few things quite as mesmerising as watching the sun set on another busy day. As we head towards the festive season and the end of the year, we seem to move a little faster and do a lot more during the day. At the same time, however, we reflect more on the year that has passed and on the one ahead.
Whether you prefer solitary reflection or joyous celebration with loved ones, we bring you a selection of some of the best sunset experiences in Cape Town this week.
Kirstenbosch summer concerts, photo courtesy bittlelit
- Enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the Mother City with the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway’s Sunset Special. Capetonians and visitors alike can buy a ticket for a return sunset trip for half the normal price! For four months from November 1, 2009, starting at 18h00, a sunset cable car ride will cost only R80 per adult and R40 per child. For more information, visit www.tablemountain.net or call +27 (0)21 424 8181.
- Take your loved one on a romantic Sunset & Champagne Cruise. This Waterfront Boat Company cruise departs from the V&A Waterfront at 18h30 in summer. A complimentary glass of sparkling wine is served to all passengers. The ideal romantic getaway, you can choose to travel by sailboat or motorised boat. It is a steal at R200 per person. For more information, visit www.waterfrontboats.co.za.
- Go horse riding on Noordhoek Beach at sunset with Sleepy Hollow Horseriding. Take in the views of Chapman’s Peak while you pass through wetlands, over dunes and onto the beach for a visit to the Kakapo Shipwreck. Rides depart at 17h00 and cost R350 per person. Bookings are essential. For more information, visit http://sleepyhollowhorseriding.co.za.
- It is Kirstenbosch Summer Concert time again, and the father and son line-up over the next two weeks is sure to prove a tough act to follow. Legendary Johnny Clegg will appear on Sunday, November 22, with his ever-so-talented son Jesse following on Sunday, December 6. Take a blanket and a picnic basket, and relax while the sun slips behind the mountain.
- Take your dog for a walk on Hout Bay Beach, take a stroll with the family through Tokai Forest or jump in the car for a scenic coastal drive. Watch the lights of Slangkop Lighthouse switch on and explore the labyrinth on the premises.
- Relax and unwind with a sunset spa treatment! The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa offers an Outdoor Bliss Package that includes a rasul mud bath, a multi-sensory experience that will instil a sense of calm and rejuvenation. Then, lose yourself in the amazing view of the Twelve Apostles mountain range and Atlantic Ocean from your outdoor gazebo as you and your partner enjoy a Swedish massage and bottle of bubbly. The cost of this unique experience is R1 970 per couple. We recommend that you book for an early dinner at Azure afterward. For more information on this and other amazing Twelve Apostles Hotel experiences, visit www.12apostleshotel.com.
- Sundowners spots in Cape Town are notoriously seductive and have been known to induce a state where all is well with the world – even if it’s just for those minutes spent lingering over a martini or sipping an ice-cold mojito, a Long Island Iced Tea or something more colourful, if it takes your fancy. Whether you opt for Harbour House in Kalk Bay for its views, the vibe of the V&A Waterfront, Camps Bay classics Summerville and La Med or the new and trendy The Grand, a fabulous time is guaranteed.
- On the subject of La Med, Goldfish Submerged Sundays are coming up, with the opening party kicking off on Sunday, November 22 at 18h00. The Submerged Sundays concept, now in its third year, has made Sunday one of the hottest nights of the week in Cape Town! Head over to the newly refurbished La Med for top South African DJs, a sushi bar courtesy of Tank and mind-blowing visuals by Afterlife VJs. Arrive early, grab some sushi, get a drink and brace yourself for the awesome sound of Goldfish, including tracks from their new remix album, Perceptions of Pacha Remixed. Ticket prices are just R60 and you can RSVP on La Med’s Facebook page or follow it on Twitter at http://twitter.com/La_Med. Pick up your tickets at Havaianas at the V&A Waterfront to avoid queues. The dress code is “beach sand welcome”.