June 21, 2012
School’s out: Exciting things to do with kids in Cape Town this holiday
What would the Mother City be without great entertainment for kids?
Cape Town is a kid’s paradise and parents will soon discover that this is one place where they can really give kids a day out without spending a fortune. From forests and botanical gardens to seaside boardwalks and beaches, there are lots of options to choose from. And even if the atmospheric wind and rain sets in during the string of sunny winter days, kids will still relish the thought of donning a pair of wellies to go puddle-splashing.
School holidays are upon us so here are some of my personal tips for keeping active little minds and bodies out of trouble:
• Spend a day outdoors… walking mountain contour paths, use a book or cellphone app to spot birds at nature reserves or venture to Cape Point to spot dassies, birds, penguins, baboons, seals and whales. Sea Point promenade and the catwalks at Muizenberg or Fish Hoek are great walks beside stormy waves; ice cream (or for parents hot cappuccino) in hand. If you are staying in the city, let little legs loose in the Company’s Garden in the city centre…with packets of peanuts to feed the squirrels.
• Spend a day indoors… Cape Town is home to a multitude of museums and heritage centres. The city centre boasts a number of museums, including the SA National Museum and Planetarium, The Jewish Museum, the Slave Lodge and the District Six Museum, all abound with historical stories and artefacts.
• Art jamming, science experiments, cooking and baking workshops, rock climbing, tobogganing and ice skating are all on offer.
Some of our attractions also offer great school holiday specials such as:
• The V&A Waterfront's indoor children’s programme, Kids Ahoy, is sure to keep little hands and minds occupied with cooking classes, and art and crafts workshops until July 15, 2012 for children aged between four and nine years. The programme takes place daily between 10h00-17h00.
• Table Mountain Cableway’s annual Kidz Season special offers a picturesque landscape and adventurous treasure hunt on weekends, public holidays and during the June and September school holidays until October 31, 2012. This special allows two kids under 18 to ride the cableway for free when purchasing one adult return ticket.
• Send your child to a Circus Holiday Academy with the SA National Circus where they will learn to juggle, do acrobatics, clowning, unicycling and more. Level 1 takes place from June 25 – 29, 2012 and Level 2, from July 2 – 6, 2012.
• Disney on Ice dazzles families at the CTICC from July 6 – 8, 2012 with four Disney "favourites" and their beloved characters presented on skates.
• The College of Magic keeps families entertained with the 2012 Traditional Children’s Magic Festival. The programme encompasses shows, treasure hunts and magic workshops with clowns, mimes, magicians, jugglers, stilt walkers and more. The two-hour show programme runs daily at 10h30 and 14h30 from June 27 – 30, 2012.
Don’t forget to stop and see your days through the fresh, fun-filled eyes of children!