June 11, 2013
School holidays: endless fun for the little people in Cape Town
The 2013 mid-year school holidays have arrived in inspirational Cape Town! It may be winter but there is still plenty of sunshine, and if wet weather does drive enthusiastic adventurers indoors, there are still plenty of cool activities for all age groups.
Cape Town’s abundance of natural attractions will keep the little ones entertained for hours:
- Walk the mountain contour paths of Constantia Nek, Rhodes Memorial or Silvermine
- Journey to Cape Point and spot dassies, birds, penguins, seals and baboons along the way
- In the city, visit the Company’s Garden with a packet of peanuts to feed the squirrels
- Go for a stroll on the beach, the promenade at Sea Point or one of the catwalks at Muizenberg or Fish Hoek
- Spot tadpoles in the pools at the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
- Explore the endless diversity of the World of Birds in Hout Bay
- If your kid has never seen a dinosaur or listened to a whale call, get to the “Museum Mile”, which includes the Iziko South African Museum, South African National Gallery and Planetarium in the Company’s Garden
- There are many indoor spaces that offer art projects, science experiments, cooking and baking workshops, rock climbing, tobogganing, indoor play gyms and ice-skating activities for kids
- Book a seat for a kiddies theatre production at the Artscape or Baxter Theatres
- Visit the SA National Circus in Observatory or the Zip Zap Circus in the city centre
- Visit the Two Oceans Aquarium in the V&A Waterfront for a close-up look at the creatures of the sea. You can watch the feeding of the predators and sharks at 15h00, and the African penguins at 11h45 and 14h30 daily. There is a great café with a play area, too!
- The V&A Waterfront is a fun place for kids, which also provides protection from foul weather. You’ll find the Scratch Patch, craft markets and kiddies rides here, in addition to the Two Oceans Aquarium
- Most of Cape Town’s shopping malls have fun school holiday programmes for kids, too
Just for the school holidays
- The V&A Waterfront is running the Kids Ahoy Winter School Holiday Activation from June 29 to July 6, 2013. This encompasses a creative café and craft space, as well as making cardboard aquariums at the Two Oceans Aquarium
- Artjamming is offering a holiday programme from June 24 to July 5, 2013, which is aimed at entertaining and educating kids with techniques used by well-known artists, which they are then able to apply to their own creations
- The College of Magic in Claremont will once again host its captivating winter school holiday programme, the 2013 Traditional Children’s Magic Festival from June 26 to 29, 2013. A magical tour of the College’s mysterious 100-year-old building, dazzling shows, exciting treasure hunts and interactive workshops await parents and their little ones
- The Canal Walk Shopping Centre sets the stage for the fantastical Peter Pan the Musical from June 22 to July 14,2013. Don't miss this musical escape to Neverland with Peter, Wendy, Hook and the Lost Boys.
Keep an eye on our events calendar for more holiday programmes that are bound to pop up soon