February 11, 2010
Road closures for opening of Parliament
President Jacob Zuma will be delivering his State of the Nation Address in Cape Town this evening. Photo courtesy World Economic Forum
Parliament will officially open today at 19h00, when President Jacob Zuma delivers the State of the Nation Address to the Joint Sitting of Parliament.
This event usually takes place in the morning, but this year will see an evening event. Traffic will thus be more heavily affected than in the past.
The public is advised to please take note of the closures and arrange their routes accordingly. Roads surrounding the parliamentary precinct, and along the route the President is to travel, will be closed.
Motorists are advised to avoid these roads as well as roads leading to the processional route between 16h30 and 22h00. Road users are requested to use alternative routes (especially when going to the airport), as the road closures may lead to congestion and excessive delays.
Visitors to the Artscape, City Hall and the V&A Waterfront will also be affected as both the M3/Eastern Boulevard and De Waal Drive will be closed until 19h00. Motorists should instead wait until after 19h00 before driving along these routes.
From 20h00 to 03h00, traffic officers will assist on all roads around the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC), including Coen Steytler. Convention Square will be closed for security reasons during this time.
Motorists are advised to use the following alternative routes into the CBD during the event:
- M5, Black River Parkway, then onto the N1, Table Bay Boulevard.
- M4, Main Road, onto Victoria Road up to the Good Hope Centre. Thereafter left onto Tennant Road or right onto Oswald Pirow Road to circle the outer CBD.
Outer CBD Circle Road – use the following ring route to the area of the CBD you want to access:
- Oswald Pirow Road
- Table Bay Boulevard
- Buitensingel Street
- Orange Street
- Jutland Avenue
- Upper Roeland Street / Brandweer Street
- Tennant Street
There will be parking restrictions in the following areas until 22h00 tonight. Alternative parking options include the Grand Parade, Buitenkant Street and Darling Street.
- Princess Anne Avenue, Newlands
- Church Square, corner of Spin and Parliament Street
- Roeland Street: between Plein and Buitenkant Street
- Plein Street: between Roeland and Spin Street
- Spin Street: between Parliament and Plein Street
- Parliament Street: between Longmarket and Bureau Street
- Hatfield and St Jon’s Streets: between Roeland and Orange Street
- Adderley Street: between Wale Street and Hertzog Boulevard
- St Mary’s Cathedral Parking Area: between Bouquet and Roeland Street
- Gallery Lane
- Queen Victoria
Issued by: Communication Department, City of Cape Town
Media Enquiries: Merle Lourens, Chief Inspector: Traffic Services Tel: 021 918 2572 or Cell: 072 200 1512
Download a PDF of the Cape Town road closures here.