March 17, 2009
New hotels open in Cape Town
The Grand Daddy, photo courtesy The Grand Daddy Hotel website
In the lead-up to 2010, there is a growing demand for accommodation in Cape Town. The Mother City has added 1 100 new hotel rooms in the past five years, which means a 45% growth in capacity. At least nine more new hotels will open by 2010.
• The Grand Daddy – a playful, contemporary four-star hotel in Long Street
• The Penthouse Aistream Trailer Park – this unique collection of overhauled vintage Airstream Trailers is housed on the rooftop of the Grand Daddy
• Cape Diamond Hotel – a four-star hotel with an art deco-style Theatre Cafe in the east city, near Parliament
• The Fountain Hotel – situated in Lower St George’s Mall
• The North Wharf Protea Hotel – situated in the Foreshore
• Five-star serviced apartments at Mandela Rhodes Place close to Greenmarket Square
• Protea Hotel Colosseum – mid-market and central
• Cape Royale – a boutique hotel in Green Point, near the Waterfront
• Asara Wine Estate & Hotel – an indulgent getaway in the Winelands
• The Kings Hotel – boutique and stylish, in Sea Point
• The Harbour Bridge Hotel and Suites – excellent for work or play, on the fringe of the V&A Waterfront
• Majeka House – a new luxury offering in the winelands, Stellenbosch
• Dock House – luxuriously appointed boutique hotel in the heart of the V&A Waterfront
Planned V&A hotel developments
• The Grain Silo Complex will be developed into a mixed-use building and is planned to include a 160-room four-star hotel, retail and appropriate ancillary services.
In 2009 two extreme luxury hotels, or six-star hotels, will be opened in Cape Town:
• Sol Kerzner’s One & Only hotel in the V&A Waterfront, which will boast a Cape Town arm of the internationally acclaimed restaurant, Nobu
• Taj Palace Hotel in St George’s Mall, near the Mandela Rhodes Place
Other hotels due to open in Cape Town
The Coral International Hotel, Cape Town’s first dry hotel has commenced construction on the corner of Buitengracht & Wale Street.
The five star Oscar Pearse Hotel on the corner of Burg and Castle Street in the inner-city began construction at the end of 2007.
Recently opened in the tranquil Constantia Valley (a suburb of Cape Town), Nova Constantia Boutique Residence is a new hotel offering just eight exclusive suites to ensure utter privacy
15 On Orange is an upmarket hotel opening at the end of 2009.
Rezidor Hotel Group is opening ten new hotels in Africa in 2009, including The Blaauwberg, which opens in Milnerton on the West Coast.