October 18, 2013
MCQP 2013 unleashes Space Cowboys in Cape Town
Fazielah Williams has lived in and loved her Mother City since birth. Having lived all over the Peninsula during her childhood, she now calls the picturesque City Bowl home and likes nothing more than watching the sun set over Table Bay from the window of her apartment.
A lover of the arts and proud Cape Town fanatic, Fazielah began her writing career by spending many hours as a child conjuring fantastical stories that featured independent heroines from faraway lands who saved the Prince instead. This Capetonian princess has enjoyed stints as a magical arts PRO and TV publicist before finding her calling as a travel writer.
When not waxing lyrical about the Fairest Cape’s most loved attractions and activities and embarking on unexpected adventures, Fazielah can usually be found taking in a show at one of the City’s fabulous theatres.
In a galaxy, far, far away, über stylishly dressed pink guys and girls came out to play at the Mothership of all lifestyle parties … hold onto your lightsabers, folks, the Mother City Queer Project (MCQP) 2013 is coming to Cape Town!
On Saturday 14 December, 2013, the impressive Cape Town Stadium ( have you ever thought about how much it looks like a UFO spaceship?) will be overrun with a plethora of Spock wannabes, Darth Vader impressionists and Buzz Lightyear devotees as this year’s unbelievable theme is… you guessed it – Space Cowboys!
Far from the... uh...stiff performances of Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood and his band of alien-loving merrymen in the 2000 movie of the same name, you and your supernova entourage are encouraged to have the time of your lives and say "Howdy, partner" to between 10 000 and 13000 fun-loving partygoers!
So, now that we’re celebrating 20 years (yes, 20!) of pure MCQP fabulousness, just what is going to make the 2013 edition an intergalactic experience? Several things, really:
- Set your alien radio frequencies to local broadcaster, Smile 90.4fm who are the official media partner for MCQP and are giving you a musical time travel trip of note with their Disco Dance Floor.
- Houston, we have an early lift off as for the first time, festivities kick off at 17h30. Early space invaders will be rewarded with great vibes at the amazing sundowner live stage.
- Get your Rocket Man dance moves on with mind-blowing live acts, including “All-American Boy” hitmaker, Steve Grand, seven dance floors featuring top DJS, four experiential areas and more.
- Be the ruler of the galaxy of awesome and book your private Privé Suites, decorated with lush and comfortable furnishings and equipped with a complimentary bar and delicious snacks. Then invite 19 of your minions as each suite holds 20 visitors.
- Explore the final culinary frontiers with the divine selection of food stalls available on the night.
Before you say “Beam me up, Cowboy!” let’s take a look at just where you can get your “out of this world” costumes:
Vanessa’s Party Emporium
My number one go to spot for all things glittery, feathery and otherwise spectacular, this Sea Point costume mecca is sure to have all you need to be the best Princess Leia you can be.
Location: Main & Rocklands Road, Sea Point
Contact: (0)21 434 3862
This Is Not a Post Office
You won’t need a Jedi mind trick to persuade you to get your inner Trekkie on at Madame Zingara’s flagship novelty store.
This Kloof Street gem stocks everything you can think of and then some.
Location: 114 Kloof Street, Tamboerskloof
Contact: +27 (0)21 423 7817
Add a touch of the theatrical to your astronomical getup with the fancy dress options at Theatreland’s treasure troves.
Location: Pinelands, Plumstead and Bellville
For your prime selection of spurs, bandanas, lassos and more, pop into this delicious costume haven in Gardens.
Location: Corner Breda and Mill Streets, Gardens
Contact: +27 (0)21 461 9448
Remember, good space cowboys (and girls), don’t drink and drive their automated ponies, so book one of our trusted transport providers or ditch the Brokeback Mountain tents and lay down your weary party loving head in perfect pink style at our top accommodation spots for the night.
Don’t miss the stellar MCQP 2013 in fun-loving #lovecapetown. For more information, please visit ww.mcqp.co.za, join their Facebook page or follow the conversation on Twitter. May the Force be with you …