November 05, 2010
Kirstenbosch Summer Concert lineup
Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts. Photo courtesy Damien du Toit
The Old Mutual Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert, a series of weekly Sunday concerts, are taking place on the lawns of the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden from November 2010 until April 2011.
The concerts are family-oriented affairs designed to celebrate summer, and boast some of the best musicians South Africa has to offer, performing at the foot of city’s natural grandstand, Table Mountain.
Music lovers can enjoy the beauty of the garden’s rich natural forest and fynbos by prearranged guided tour before the start of each concert, although guests are encouraged to arrive early and book their picnic spot to avoid disappointment. This venue gets jam-packed for such events.
Some local musicians set to rock the Old Mutual Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts are kwaito stars TKZee, legendary Mango Groove, Afro-jazz outfit Freshlyground, songbird Lira and the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra.
TKZee, which consists of Zwai Bala, Kabelo Mabalane and Tokollo Tshabalala, shot to prominence in the late 1990s with their hit song Shibobo featuring former Bafana Bafana striker Benni McCarthy.
Mango Groove lit the music stage with its afro-pop sounds in the 1980s. The group has sold over 700 000 albums in South Africa and was the only African act invited to perform at the Celebrate Hong Kong ‘97 Reunification Concert, commemorating the handover of Hong Kong to China after more than 150 years of British rule.
Freshlyground is made up of musicians from South Africa, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, and recently recorded the official anthem for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, Waka Waka, together with Colombian superstar Shakira.
Lira was the recipient of four South African Music Awards in 2009, taking home Best Album of the Year for Soul in Mind and Best Female Solo Artist.
The Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra has wooed classical music lovers with its powerful sounds, and many of their performances both locally and abroad have sold out in advance.
Online bookings are already available on www.webtickets.co.za, and tickets can be redeemed – or bought – at the Kirstenbosch Visitors’ Centre on the Tuesday before each concert between 08h00 and 18h30. Telephonic bookings can be made on +27 (0)21 761 2866 from the Tuesday before each concert, with a R10 administration fee charged per ticket.
Here is the schedule, according to www.eventslists.co.za:
* 21 November - Just Jinjer (rate 2)
* 28 November - TKZee featuring Khuli Chana (rate 1)
* 5 December - Mango Groove (rate 2)
* 12 December - Freshlyground (2)
* 26 December - Civil Twilight (rate 1)
* 31 December: New Year’s Eve - Johnny Clegg & Loading Zone – price: R240
* 2 January - Prime Circle (rate 2)
* 9 January - The Parlotones (rate 3)
* 16 January - Jack Parow and Francois van Coke (rate 1)
* 23 January - Farryl Purkiss,Dan Patlansky and Inge Beckmann (rate 1)
* 30 January - Lira (rate 2)
* 6 February - Isochronous and Kidofdoom (rate 1)
* 13 February - Zebra & Giraffe (rate 2)
* 20 February - Jesse Clegg (rate 1)
* 27 February - Loyiso featuring Chad Saaiman (rate 1)
* 6 March - Goldfish (rate 2)
* 13 March - Jamali (rate 1)
* 20 March - RJ Benjamin featuring Slikour (rate 1)
* 27 March - The Cape Philharmonic Orchestra (rate 1)
* 3 April - aKING (rate 1)
Youth (6-21 yrs): R50
Botanical Society members: R65
Youth (6-21 yrs): R70
Botanical Society members: R85
Youth (6-21 yrs): R90
Botanical Society members: R100