July 07, 2009
Jazz jams and football fun at Ubuntu Festival
Cape Town Tourism is proud to be a partner of the inaugural Ubuntu Festival, taking place from July 13-19 at Mandela Rhodes Place in Wale Street.
We believe that it is a wonderful platform to celebrate Cape Town’s unique culture and lifestyle in the run-up to the 2010 FIFA World Cup. It shares the goals of our Citizen Awareness Campaign: uniting people and celebrating our diversity.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu says that ubuntu has to do with what it means to be truly human, to know that you are bound up with others in the bundle of life.
The Ubuntu Festival brings together people of all cultures in a celebration of food, music, dance and dialogue. Symbolically this event coincides with former president Nelson Mandela’s birthday, a day associated with the birth of South Africa’s greatest unifying force.
Cape Town Tourism, in partnership with the sponsors of the Ubuntu Festival, is giving away 12 double tickets to the festival on Cape Talk today.
Tickets are valued at R75.00 each. These tickets are for the closed jazz-jamming sessions, with a line-up that includes Coda, Robbie Jansen, Spencer Mbadu, Mervyn Africa, Steve Newman, John Pretorius and much more.
Entry to the actual street festival is free. Mouthwatering food of all cultures will be on sale.
• Ubuntu Workshops: Monday July 13 – Thursday July 16: aimed at corporate Cape Town, providing tools and mechanisms to equip employees to cope with cultural and generation clashes.
• Ubuntu Seminar: Friday July 17: designed to establish dialogue among business owners and corporate executives around the topic of ubuntu being a sustainable solution in establishing good corporate citizenship in the workplace.
The festival: July 18-19
Artists performing on Saturday and Sunday include:
• Coda: Recently nominated for a South African Music Award and performing their new song, Blow your Vuvuzela
• Claire Philips: Cape Town’s newest discovery. Hailing from Belhar, she began singing as a toddler. Her debut album, Say my Name, went on to win the category at the 13th annual SAMA Awards.
• The latest pop idols, Graham, Lyndle, and Thembi, and the first Idols winner, Heinz Winckler
• The Rockets, Natalia da Rocha and many more!
Watch out for Team Cape Town Tourism, with our mystery soccer guest, who will be teaching some soccer tricks, on Saturday. We will also be handing out autographed soccer balls at the event, as well as some of our exclusive Cape Town football gear.
Come and learn how to diski dance on Sunday.
For more bookings and to confirm your space, please contact Mandela Rhodes Place and Spa: +27 (0)21 418 4000 or visit their website: www.mandelarhodesplace.co.za.
You can also have a look at our website: www.capetown.travel for more information or contact our call centre: +27 (0)21 487 6800.
Don’t forget to enter our fabulous Winter Competition, where you can win an iPod Nano for the best photo of winter in Cape Town, or win an Acer Notebook, for the best “I love Cape Town in winter” story. For full details and terms and conditions, please visit our website: www.capetown.travel/winter or contact Aslam: 021 487 6800.