August 01, 2013
#InstagramDiary: V&A Waterfront
On a perfect winter's day like today there's no better place to be than outside, taking advantage of the warm winter sun. I took a stroll through the V&A Waterfront and were reminded just how much this world-class shopping destination has to offer. In fact, the Waterfront is so much more than meets the eye. I may even have done a spot of shopping...maybe.
Top 10 things to do at the V&A Waterfront:
1. Dine at one of the many mouth-watering eateries on the property. Until the 25th of August 2013, enter their #DiscoverDelicious campaign and you could win a R5000 voucher in the weekly draw. Just eat, shoot and share, remembering to register on the website: www.discoverdelicious.co.za to enter.
2. Take a ferrie to Robben Island to explore the site where Nelson Mandela spent many years in captivity. A truly moving experience. Also take time to explore the Gateway to Robben Island Museum where you will find interesting facts and artifacts about this World Heritage Site.
3. Explore the under-sea while on dry land at the Two Oceans Aquarium. The aquarium is home to over 3000 species of marine life and offers unique and exciting experiences, like the opportunity to dive with sharks- cageless! A fascinating experience for kids and adults alike.
4. Jump onboard the Jolly Roger Pirate Ship for a cruise around the harbour or out to Camps Bay. Cape Town's only authentic pirate ship can also be hired for exclusive events and parties.
5. Visit the Cape Town Diamond Museum for a fascinating look at South Africa's history in the diamond mining field. Experience first hand that magical power that diamonds posses to capivate and enthrall and learn more about the 4 C's - Cut, clarity, colour and carat.
6. For those interested in a bit of history, the Iziko Maritime Museum is a must-see. With images and artifacts from from the 17th to 20th century, see how the Table Bay region developed into what it is today.
7. Hop onboard the City Sightseeing Bus and explore Cape Town's iconic routes with a view from the open-topped bus. Make sure to make use of the hop-on hop-off sites so you don't miss out on exploring.
8. Shop, shop, shop till you drop! The Waterfront has a massive selection of exclusive and luxury stores that will leave your shopping bags bulging and your credit card empty!
9. With weather like today you might want to take a different route and hop on a bicycle to explore the city closer to the ground with AWOL Tours. A fun and educational way to get some fresh air while getting to know the city. (Read more about my recent sightseeing trip with AWOL Tours here)
10. Before you leave, make sure you pop into the African Craft Market where you can find authentic handmade African crafts to take home. There's nothing like a handmade souvenoir to remind you of your amazing trip in years to come.
Don't forget to follow us on Instagram: @lovecapetown and tag your Cape Town images to share them with us.