February 24, 2014
Eminem Live in Cape Town: Road Closures and things you need to know
Mother City Slim Shady fans, are you ready to “Lose Yourself” with the one and only Eminem at the Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday 26 February, 2014?
I’m sure you’ve been counting down the days as I have until we get to see our “Rap God” perform live and with more than 40 000 concerto goers expected to join us, it’s going to one big party!
Before you head down the “Fast Lane” to meet Mr Mathers, here’s what you need to know:
- The opening acts: Our “Monster” hit maker has handpicked only the best international and South African acts to join him on stage - US MC Action Branson and Mr “ Flippin’ Cool” himself, Jack Parow will be warming up the crowds this Wednesday evening.
- The MC: The man is a wizard on the decks and a great crowd energizer - it’s DJ Ready D, local music icon, as your MC!
- The set list: Are you breathless with anticipation to hear Eminem perform your favourite tracks? The man will not disappoint, with “Love the Way You Lie”, “The Way I Am”, “Not Afraid” and more rumoured to be on the set list as well as songs off his latest album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2.
Now that you’re clued up and have what you need for your “Survival”, “Let’s Get Down To Business” with the important road closures:
Wednesday 26 February:
- Fritz Sonnenberg Road (Stefan Road and McDonalds), full closure in both directions: 06:00 – 23:59
- Fritz Sonnenberg Road(Portswood Road and Granger Bay Boulevard),full closure in both directions:06:00 – 23:59
- Vlei Road (Green Point Cricket Club entrance and Fritz Sonnenberg Road),Full closure in both directions:06:00 – 23:59
- Helen Suzman Boulevard (Buitengragt and York Road), right lane is a bus and emergency lane in both directions: 15:00 – 23:59
Additionally, the following restrictions / closures may be applied:
- Fritz Sonnenberg Road (Metropolitan Golf Club to McDonalds entrance), full closure in both directions: 14:00 – 23:59
- Fritz Sonnenberg Road (McDonalds entrance to Granger Bay Boulevard), full closure in both directions:14:00 – 23:59
- Stephan Way (Fritz Sonnenberg Road and Hamiltons Rugby Club),full closure in both directions: 14:00 – 23:59
- Vlei Road (Helen Suzman Boulevard and Fritz Sonnenberg Road),full closure in both directions: 14:00 – 23:59
- Fort Wynyard Road (Portswood Road and Granger Bay Boulevard), full closure in both directions: 06:00 – 23:30
- Beach Road (Portswood Road and Haul Road),full closure in both directions:22:30 – 23:30
- Portswood Road (from Helen Suzman Boulevard to Beach Road),North-bound closed only: 22:30 – 23:30
- Granger Bay Boulevard( Helen Suzman Boulevard and Beach Road),North-bound closed only: 14:00 – 23:30
- Beach Road and Helen Suzman Boulevard,South-bound (city-bound) closed only :18:00 – 23:30
Fan Walk – CBD – Stadium
- Somerset Road Buitengragt and Chiappini Street,Full closure in both directions: 18:00 – 23:59
- Ebenezer Road and Chiappini Street,South-bound (city-bound) closed only
- Main Road (from Ebenezer Road to York Road), bi-directional traffic
- Main Road (from York Road to Ebenezer Road), South-bound (city-bound) closed only
- Ebenezer Road( Prestwich Street and Somerset Road),local access only – no through traffic
- Hertzog Boulevard (Christiaan Barnard Street to Heerengracht), Westbound closed :17:00 – 23:59
- Waterkant (Buitengragt and Lower Burg Street), full closure – access for residents and businesses only : 12:30 – 23:59
Impact of road closures on public transport
Public transport services operating in the Green Point and CBD areas may be subject to localised deviations from 18:00 until 23:59 on 26 February 2014. The affected scheduled services are listed below:
- Golden Arrow Bus Service travelling through the Green Point area: all services along Somerset Road and Main Road, Green Point between Buitengragt and York Road, will run along Helen Suzman Boulevard after 18:00, if required. Passengers using this service may board or disembark at the stops on either side of the closures at Buitengragt or York Road.
- Golden Arrow Bus Service entering the CBD: the Waterfront service (CBD-bound) will operate via the CTICC, turning right into Heerengracht, stopping opposite Standard Bank, proceeding around the circle, back down Heerengracht and on to the Waterfront. The Waterfront/Sea Point service will continue to operate on its normal routes but may be subject to delays.
- MyCiTi Waterfront service: the normal service will not be free of charge. The service will stop at the Stadium bus station en route to the Waterfront and then will be rerouted from Helen Suzman Boulevard into Portswood Road, turning left into Beach Road and right at the traffic circle into Granger Bay Boulevard.
- The Granger Bay bus station will be closed for this period while all other stops and services on the Gardens-Civic-Waterfront route will remain operational. Passengers may use the Waterfront (in Breakwater Lane), Stadium bus station and/or Buitengragt stops as alternatives to the Granger Bay bus station. On the return journey from the Waterfront, the bus will turn left into Beach Road, right into Portswood Road and left at Helen Suzman Boulevard to continue its normal route to the CBD.
Where to stay:
Slim Shady is going to rock your world, Marshall lovers, but if you’re in need of a place to stay for the night or a ride home, we have you covered with our amazing accommodation spots and transport providers.
Here’s a little taster of what to expect from the legendary Grammy winner:
Not a fan of rap? Book tickets for the iconic Carlos Santana‘s concert at the Grand West Casino and Entertainment World’s Grand Arena on Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 February, 2014.