November 09, 2012
Discovery Cape Times Big Walk 2012 in Cape Town road closures and information
Fazielah Williams has lived in and loved her Mother City since birth. Having lived all over the Peninsula during her childhood, she now calls the picturesque City Bowl home and likes nothing more than watching the sun set over Table Bay from the window of her apartment.
A lover of the arts and proud Cape Town fanatic, Fazielah began her writing career by spending many hours as a child conjuring fantastical stories that featured independent heroines from faraway lands who saved the Prince instead. This Capetonian princess has enjoyed stints as a magical arts PRO and TV publicist before finding her calling as a travel writer.
When not waxing lyrical about the Fairest Cape’s most loved attractions and activities and embarking on unexpected adventures, Fazielah can usually be found taking in a show at one of the City’s fabulous theatres.
Walkers all over the peninsula are putting on their walking shoes and packing in a few energy snacks for the Discovery Cape Times Big Walk 2012 in Cape Town on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
Whether you’re a participant or a supporter of this mega marathon event, we know you’ll find the road closure information below particularly useful:
- Darling Street, between Adderley and Buitenkant Street (road closure from 07h00 until 10h00). Expect delays at the Adderley and Strand Street intersection and Adderley and Darling Street intersection.
- Adderley Street, between Strand and Bureau Street (road closure from 07h45 until 10h00)
- Burg Street and Hout Street (road closure from 07h45 until 10h00)
- Burg Street and Longmarket Street (road closure from 07h45 until 10h00)
- Plein Street and Bureau Street (road closure from 07h45 until 10h00)
- Wale Street and Queen Victoria Street (road closure from 07h45 until 10h00)
- Orange Street and Hatfield Roads, St John’s Road, Roeland Street (road closure from 08h15 until 11h30). Expect delays at the intersection of Roeland Street and St Johns Road due to a large number of walkers.
- Expect delays at Keizersgracht Street between Cape Town University of Technology and Searle Street due to a large number of walkers.
- Expect delays at Victoria Road/Main Road (M4) to the N2 onramp between 08h15 and 11h30, due to a large number of walkers.
- Liesbeek Parkway between N2 and Klipfontein, Richmond, Twickenham, Raleigh, Lancaster, Roxana, (road closure from 07h00 until 17h00). Liesbeek Parkway between N2 offramp and Durban Road intersection is closed from 07h00 until 17h00.
- Bloemendal and Caledonian Roads (road closure/residents only access between 07h00 and 17h00)
- N2 outbound: Main Road onramp and Liesbeek Parkway offramp (road closure from 07h00 until 17h00)
- Expect delays on Main Road from Simon’s Town to Lower Main Road, Observatory from 07h45 until 17h00, due to a large number of walkers
- Expect delays at Simon’s Town railway station northwards to Black Hill Road from 08h00 until 09h30, due to a large number of walkers
- Main Road from Black Hill, northbound and southbound, to Fish Hoek Circle including Hillside Road Intersection (road closure from 08h00 until 10h30)
- Main Road northbound between Clairvaux Road, Kalk Bay and Atlantic Road, Muizenberg (road closure from 08h00 until 10h30)
- Uxbridge Intersection, Muizenberg – Lakeside (road closure from 07h45 until 12h00). You are advised to use Albertyn Road as an alternative.
- Expect delays in Bergvliet/Retreat between 07h45 and 10h00 at the pedestrian crossing in Main Road, Retreat at Zwaanswyk School, due to a large number of walkers.
- Main Road at Ladies Mile – temporary road closure/delays from 07h15 until 10h30
- Boundary Road, Newlands between Sport Pienaar Road and Lower Kelvin Road – road closure from 09h45 until 11h00. Expect delays at the intersection at Boundary Road and Main Road Newlands.
- Milnerton Drive from the Paddocks shopping centre parking to Koeberg Road (road closure from 07h30 until 08h30)
- Expect delays at the Koeberg Road and Racecourse Road intersection from 08h00 until 08h30, due to a large number of walkers. Expect delays at Koeberg Road and Racecourse Road intersection at the Medi Clinic.
- Expect delays at Racecourse Road onto the bicycle lane in Otto du Plessis from 08h00 until 08h30, due to a large number of walkers. The intersection on Racecourse Road and Otto du Plessis will be affected by a large number of walkers.
- Otto du Plessis from Racecourse Road intersection to Milner Street – expect delays due to a large number of walkers between 08h00 and 10h00
- Expect delays at the Marine Drive Service Road and Milner Street intersection from 08h30 until 10h00, due to a large number of walkers. Expect delays at the intersection at Marine Drive and Milner Road at the flea market.
- Expect delays at the Container Road and Paarden Eiland Road intersection from 09h00 until 10h30, due to a large number of walkers. Although Service Road is being used by the walkers, the intersection of Container Road and Paarden Eiland road will be affected.
- Expect delays from Oswald Pirow to Keizergracht from 08h00 until 11h30, due to a large number of walkers.
- Walkers will exit the BRT lane on the grass area next to Porters Auto and Oswald Pirow and Hertzog Boulevard intersection may be affected.
For more information about the Discovery Cape Times Big Walk, please visit www.bigwalk.co.za.