March 03, 2014
Design Indaba showed Cape Town is ready for WDC2014
Every year in February the Mother City hosts the biggest showcase of African design in the Southern Hemisphere. Featuring architecture, fashion, jewellery, homeware and furniture as well as hand-crafted goods, Design Indaba was an extravaganza of ingenuity that lived up to its motto "A better world through creativity."
With the focus on Cape Town as World Design Capital 2014 it was exciting to see so many exhibitors incorporate this theme into their designs. With a full line-up of talks, stage events and an engaging exhibition arena, the Cape Town International Convention Centre came alive this month with a powerful display of innovation.
What was new this year?
- Africa is Now exhibited innovation and design across the continent including Swaziland, Mozambique, Namibia and Rwanda.
- The First Editions showcased over 200 first time exhibitors
- The WitOpWit exhibit displayed a concept factory that develops ideas and installations
- Five Past Five Design brought some more leather and timber to the party
- Lara Klawikowski introduced avant-garde designs to Cape Town
- The Caversham Press launched phase 2 with these new artists: Rodbey Band, Tertius Strydom, Jinger Jack, Research Unit, Lazuli and Catchatiger Designs
- Cape Town Fashion Council brought emerging designs to the runway
- And last but not least, The Waterfront Food Market at the V & A Waterfront was the designated food court. YUM!
Meanwhile, in the speakers' sessions at Design Indaba..
Fancy yourself an artist? Share your creative Cape Town artwork with us by tagging #lovecapetown.