August 11, 2009
Celebrating women at the Mount Nelson Hotel
The entrance to the Mount Nelson Hotel, photo courtesy Danie van der Merwe
“Freedom cannot be achieved unless women have been emancipated from all forms of oppression.” ‒ Former President Nelson Mandela at the opening of South Africa’s first democratically elected parliament on May 24, 1994
On August 9, 1956, more than 20 000 women marched to the government buildings in Pretoria to stand up for their rights.
Legendary women leaders such as Charlotte Manye Maxeke, Madie Hall-Xuma, Cissy Gool, Ray Alexander Simons, Winifred Siqwana, Ida Mntwana, Dora Tamana and Annie Silinga are just a few of the goddesses who made a difference to the lives of women in South Africa.
This month, we celebrate these women.
Whether you are a daughter, wife, mother, grandmother or just a girl you, too, should be celebrated. Celebrate your own uniqueness – do something that makes your soul sing, throw your hair back, kick off your shoes and have some fun! Indulge in guilt-free self-obsession.
We would love to pay tribute to a woman and her partner of choice. Courtesy of Librisa Spa at the Mount Nelson Hotel and Cape Town Tourism, we would love to honour her with a five-star treatment to the value of R1 000!
Librisa Spa is an urban sanctuary, conveniently located in the city centre at the Mount Nelson Hotel. It is housed in a Victorian residential home dating back to the early 1900s, which lends a warm yet supremely stylish home-away-from-home feel.
The spa has two local product ranges ‒ Victorian Garden and Africology ‒ and treatments include: a pink clay and geranium facial, African goddess facial, rooibos and lavender wrap, and green clay marula and wild mint wrap. All treatments – for women, men, teens and even children – are based on the healing power of touch and are exceptionally well priced for a five-star hotel spa.
The Mount Nelson Hotel pool, photo courtesy Geoffrey Hancock
Other Librisa Spa highlights:
- Changing areas contain a sauna and steam bath, sensation showers and heated marble slabs. An enclosed courtyard with a heated pool in each changing area is the perfect place to unwind before and after treatments, and the charcoal-textured flooring or quartz carpeting is a sensory experience in itself.
- The main spa building houses eight oversized treatment rooms (rumoured to be the biggest in the country) split between the ground and upper floors. Continuing the botanical theme, each treatment room is named after a plant or flower. A spiral staircase is a focal point of the double-volume space.
- Four of the treatment rooms have been specially designed for tandem treatment packages (for couples or mother-and-daughter treatments). Two of the upstairs rooms, Aloe and Amaryllis, lead out onto spacious balconies with inspiring views of Table Mountain, for an idyllic post-treatment retreat.
- An opulent copper bath takes pride of place in Cascara’s bay window, for treatments incorporating the healing power of water.
- In addition to the treatment rooms, the spa houses custom-designed manicure and pedicure rooms, which can each accommodate up to three people.
Librisa Spa at Mount Nelson Hotel: 76 Orange Street, Gardens, Cape Town
Tel: +27 21 483 1550, www.mountnelson.co.za
Opening hours: 09h00-20h00, Monday to Sunday.
To download the complete Librisa Spa menu, please visit www.mountnelson.co.za.
For more information on the Mount Nelson Hotel, visit www.mountnelson.co.za.