June 05, 2010
Cape Town real estate suits all tastes
Llandudno houses. Photo courtesy Rob Wallace
Cape Town provides country, urban and suburban living for every taste, from young singletons in the city, to starter homes for young families in its many leafy suburbs. The city’s continental feel and clement climate also attracts the super-wealthy, as they winter, or summer, on Cape Town’s beaches, or in its many cafés and sea-view apartments.
If you’re interested in property propositions while holidaying in Cape Town, we’ve included a brief outline of each of the suburbs to help you decide where you would like to buy. Although we have made selections from the cream of the current residential crop (May 2010), there are always bargains to be had, so speak to reputable estate agents before making up your mind.
The Western Seaboard includes Melkbosstrand, Bellville, Durbanville, Bloubergstrand, Parklands, Table View, Sunset Beach, Milnerton and Woodbridge Island. Milnerton properties range from luxury seaside apartments and houses to more modest homes in the centre of the suburb. Melkbosstrand, with its white, sandy beaches, boasts spectacular sunsets and panoramic views across the beachfront and Atlantic Ocean, as do homes in Bloubergstrand, which overlook the ocean with Table Mountain as a backdrop.
- Melkbosstrand: 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR27,7-m
- Sunset Beach: 7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms – ZAR12,9-m
- Table View: 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms – ZAR6,5-m
- Woodbridge Island: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms – ZAR2,4-m
- Bloubergstrand: 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR12-m
Brackenfell, Durbanville, Kraaifontein, Tygervalley, Welgemoed, Loevenstein, Bothasig, Edgemead, Goodwood, Parow and Zevenwacht are some of Cape Town’s Northern Suburbs. Properties are typically large, with lush gardens, and are suited to young families. This region lies close to the Cape Winelands.
- Welgemoed: 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms – ZAR6,4-m
- Klein Zewenwacht: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms – ZAR3,6-m
- Durbanville: 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms – ZAR3,5-m
- Belville apartment: 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms – ZAR3,3-m
- Loevenstein: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms – ZAR2,1-m
The Atlantic Seaboard includes Granger Bay, Mouille Point, Green Point, Three Anchor Bay, Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Fresnaye, Clifton, Camps Bay, Bakoven, Llandudno and Hout Bay. These properties fall within the stretch of coastline that extends from the V&A Waterfront to Hout Bay and comprise prime seafront real estate.
- Bantry Bay: 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR100-m
- Clifton: 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR80-m
- Camps Bay: 7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms – ZAR39-m
- Fresnaye: 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR32-m
- Hout Bay: 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms – ZAR25-m
The Southern Suburbs include Observatory, Mowbray, Pinelands, Rosebank, Rondebosch, Newlands, Athlone, Claremont, Lansdowne, Bishopscourt, Kenilworth, Wynberg, Ottery, Plumstead, Constantia, Diep River, Bergvliet and Tokai. This area is renowned for its top educational institutions and large properties and is the preferred choice of the elite homeowner.
- Bishopscourt: 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR39-m
- Constantia: 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms – ZAR25-m
- Newlands: 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR16-m
- Tokai: 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms – ZAR11,2-m
- Claremont: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms – ZAR8,9-m
The rugged Southern Peninsula comprises Lakeside, Marina de Gama, Muizenberg, St James, Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek, Simon’s Town, The Boulders, Cape Point, Scarborough, Kommetjie, Sunnydale and Noordhoek. These more secluded and quaint spots along the Peninsula offer stunning views and quiet seclusion.
- Kommetjie: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms at ZAR19-m
- Noordhoek: 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms – ZAR5,5-m
- Simon’s Town: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms – ZAR12-m
- Kalk Bay penthouse: 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms – ZAR10,5-m
- Misty Cliffs: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms – ZAR5,3-m