October 07, 2009
Cape Town 101: fun at Visitor Information Centre
Celebrating diversity and building up towards World Tourism Day, the team made it easy for citizens of the city to live and love Cape Town. The process included learning, winning and lots of noise!
Cape Town Tourism’s Live it! Love it! Louder! volunteers Yusari and Stacey handed out fliers to the public, directing people to the Visitor Information Centre. There, presenting the flier and popping a balloon revealed their prize.
Citizens answered easy questions that that will help prepare them to become knowledgeable hosts for the FIFA 2010 World Cup and get them ready to welcome the world. Some of the questions were:
1. Q: What is the name of Cape Town’s most famous mountain?
A: Table Mountain
2. Q: What is the name of the founder of the Dutch settlement at Cape Town about 350 years ago?
A: Jan van Riebeeck
3. Q: Who is the official visitor and marketing services agency of the City of Cape Town?
A: Cape Town Tourism
4. Q: Which street in the city centre of Cape Town is the original shoreline of Table Bay Harbour?
A: Strand Street
5. Q: On what date is the Tweede Nuwe Jaar or Second New Year celebrated in Cape Town?
A: January 2 each year
6. Q: How many Apostles are there overlooking the Camps Bay, Bakoven and Oudekraal beaches?
7. Q: Name the hotel referred to as the Pink Lady or The Nellie.
A: Mount Nelson Hotel
8. Q: Name the world-famous working harbour and shopping centre located at Table Bay.
A: The V&A Waterfront
9. Q: Name the island where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner.
A: Robben Island
10. Q: What is Blaauwberg beach famous for in the summer?
A: Kite surfing and wind surfing
11. Q: What is the name of the floral kingdom in the Western Cape of South Africa?
A: The Cape Floral Kingdom