March 17, 2010
Taste of Cape Town Food Festival
Those who like food will love The Taste of Cape Town Food Festival, which starts next week. Photo courtesy stuhaigh
The Taste of Cape Town Food Festival organisers promise an event that is sexier and more delicious than ever this year.
When: March 24 to 28, 2010
Where: Rhodes High School in Mowbray
What: It’s a serious foodie affair, and with 19 of the city’s top chefs serving their signature dishes on the day.
How much: R80 for a standard ticket, which includes entrance and access to all exhibitions at the show. A premium ticket costs R170 and includes R100 worth of Cape Town crowns. You can book your ticket now on www.computicket.com, or by calling 083 915 8000. Entrance is free for children under 12.
Show opening times are:
Wednesday to Friday, from 18h30 to 22h30
Saturday, from 13h00 to 17h00, and 18h30 to 22h30
Sunday, from 12h00 to 17h00
Capetonians and visitors will get to sample dishes from some of Cape Town and the Winelands’ top chefs, such as Peter Tempelhoff from The Greenhouse; Reuben Riffel from Reubens; Margot Jansen of Le Quartier Français, Nompumezo Balani from Gold and Eric Bulpitt from Jardine.
Crowns, your food festival currency, can be bought at the same time as your tickets. A crown will cost you R5 and the price for dishes from each restaurant ranges between four and eight crowns per dish or drink. If you pay with crowns, your change will be in crowns as well.
Food and drink exhibitions at the festival include:
- The Pick n Pay Fresh Living Chef’s Theatre, which will give you the opportunity to see top chefs in action and ask them a question or two.
- The Checkers Wine Route Taste Experience, which will have wines from more than 80 top South African wine estates, with wine tastings, tutorials and advice on food and wine pairings.
- The Grolsch Beer Academy, offering a beer masterclass.
- The Fresh Producers Market, giving some of the Mother City’s local food heroes the opportunity to show off their handmade cheeses, biltong, spices, herbs and chocolate.
- Johnnie Walker Whisky Theatre, offering whisky lovers the opportunity to taste the Red Label whisky, Black Label whisky, the flagship blend, or the Green Label blend.
- The Kidz Zone, hosted by experts, Partytots and Clamber Club, with activities including a jumping castle, an obstacle course, face painting, balloon artists and magic shows.