December 09, 2013
Cape Town to host Madiba’s national memorial service on the Grand Parade
Born and bred in the Mother city, Leilah lives an average-Jane life in the quiet side of Cape Town suburbia. Her favourite things to do in Cape Town include getting sand in her Havaianas on the beach, and watching the bright city lights on Long Street at night.
Leilah heads up the Content Marketing team at iProspect, so naturally is addicted to all things digital. She is an avid Instagramer who "belongs" to the Igers Cape Town community, and collects memories of her city adventures (instameets) for her Instagram feed, as well as the feed of Cape Town Tourism.
"Instagram makes me see the world through different eyes," she says, yet insists she is not a hipster.
This Tuesday, December 10 at 11:00, The City of Cape Town will prepare for the national memorial service for the late former president Nelson Mandela. The service will be held and screened from the Grand Parade so that all Capetonians are able to come together and mourn Tata Madiba.
A full programme which includes choirs, poets and jazz played by Mike Campbell will be planned for this service. Other performances included are by Afro-Jazz icon Jimmy Dludlu; the ‘feisty diva’ Sarah Theron; and traditional Langa artist Fancy Galada.
Details of the national service:
Date: Tuesday 10 December 2013
Venue: Grand Parade, Darling Street, Cape Town
Owing to this event, the following road closures have been pronounced to accommodate the national service for the late Tata Madiba:
- Longmarket and Corporation Streets
- Darling between Plein and Buitenkant Streets
- Parade Street between Longmarket and Darling Streets
- Corporation Street between Longmarket and Caledon Streets
Temporary closures and vehicular restrictions will be in effect in the following roads up until 00h00. Residents and businesses will have limited access in some roads that include:
- Adderley Street between Bureau and Strand Streets
- Castle Street between Darling and Strand Streets
- Church Street between Adderley and Burg Streets
- Hout Street between Burg and Adderley Streets
- Lower Plein Street Strand and Darling/ Castle Streets
- Parliament Street between Darling and Longmarket Streets
- Sir Lowry Road between Tennant and Darling Street