• Categories

    All

  • Authors

    All

  • Sort By

    Date

May 26, 2010

Al Qaeda not out to attack the 2010 FIFA World Cup™

cape town stadium

Cape Town will be safe during the 2010 FIFA World Cup™. Photo courtesy smee.bruce

Football fans from around the world planning to travel to South Africa for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ will be relieved to hear that Al Qaeda says it’s not planning an attack during the tournament. Al Qaeda in Iraq has denied it was plotting a terrorist act in the country and that Baghdad’s claims of it doing so were “fantasies”.

The Islamic State of Iraq’s so-called information ministry posted a statement on a jihadi web forum late yesterday (May 25), completely refuting claims made last week that a captured Saudi militant, with links to Al Qaeda, had confessed to planning unspecified attacks. Iraqi security forces claimed the man, 30-year-old Abdullah Azzam Saleh Misfar al-Qahtani, had confirmed that the group was plotting acts of terrorism during the World Cup, which starts on June 11. But Al Qaeda maintains the man is not a member of the organisation.

“We expected the media imbeciles of the government of the Green Zone [the Iraqi government] to exploit the death of our two martyrs to launch a series of lies about their imaginary victories,” the statement reads, referring to the deaths last month of two Al Qaeda leaders, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi and Abu Ayub al-Masri. “But no one imagined that they would extend their fantasies and security ambitions to Johannesburg and the World Cup in South Africa.”

Football governing body FIFA said last week that none of the intelligence agencies it’s working with had uncovered any terrorist threats.

comments powered by Disqus
 
 

Wed: 14°C / 27°C

Currently: 13°C (05:59)

 
×