March 09, 2010
ABSA Cape Epic Cycle Race
Exploring new horizons. Photo courtesy Chris Bloomfield
The ABSA Cape Epic takes place during the last week of March or the first week of April each year. This year the event will be hosted from March 21 to 28, 2010. It is the largest mountain bike stage race in the world, taking place over eight stages with the riders receiving food, water and energy drinks at the various feed zones during the race stages.
Held over eight days, the route for the ABSA Cape Epic changes each year, but consistently covers 800km, winding its way through the most beautiful natural areas in the Western Cape, with some 16 000m of the route over mountain passes.
Race registration will take place in Cape Town on March 20, 2010, with the race starting at Diemersfontein, going to Ceres, Worcester, Oak Valley and finishing in Lourensford.
A requirement of the Cape Epic is that all riders must enter in teams of two. The teams must remain together throughout the race as they must reach each day’s finish line, at 17h00, as a team. Teams can enter in one of four categories: Men, Ladies, Mixed and Masters The winners on each day will cycle the next race stage wearing the leader jerseys.
The ABSA Cape Epic is not only viewed as a sporting event by participants, but as a travel experience. The race organisers offer participants a 24-hour service during the race, which includes tented accommodation, carbo-loaded breakfasts and dinners, race nutrition, bike servicing, masseurs and entertainment on every evening of the race.
How can you get involved?
- Kit out, chin up and start training for next year’s ABSA Cape Epic Cycle Race. The race register for next year will open on the website, http://www.cape-epic.com, on March 29, 2010.
- Try the Epic Trippers, a much shorter bike route, including a picnic lunch stop along the way and hotel accommodation..
- Enter one of the one-day races. The Wilde Cellar to Cellar Mountain Bike Race is a brand-new addition to the Epic event calendar. This one-day mountain biking race starts on the first day of the Cape Epic on March 21, 2010, at 09h30, covering 40km from Diemersfontein Wine & Country Estate, through Wellington, and ending at Doolhof Wine Estate; it coincides with the Wellington Harvest Festival. You can enter online on the ABSA Cape Epic website before March 18, 2010.
- The MTN Cape Times Vigne à Vigne one-day race takes place on Sunday, March 28, 2010, on the last day of the Cape Epic. The race will start and end at Lourensford Wine Estate, mirroring the final stage of the Cape Epic and entrants can choose between 26km or 55km routes. Both routes will see participants finishing well in time to see the winners of the Cape Epic cross the finishing line. Enter online at www.vigne-a-vigne.com before 12h00 on March 19, 2010.
- Head to Lourensford Wine Estate on March 28, 2010, to listen to SA band Watershed who will be performing at 12h30.
Visit the ABSA Cape Epic web-site www.cape-epic.com for more information on this amazing event.