July 09, 2009
A tour of Green Point Stadium
Personally, I think the Green Point Stadium will become one of the world’s best, not due to its capacity but because of its architecture and idyllic placing in one of the world’s most beautiful cities.
If the local Western Province/Stormers rugby team doesn’t make this their new home stadium I will be amazed (and they will be foolish).
To find out more about the stadium and to book tours go to www.greenpointstadiumvc.co.za.
Green Point Stadium Facts
• The stadium will cost about R4.5-billion
• Due for completion by mid-December 2009
• Capacity will be 68 000 for the 2010 World Cup (55 000 after the World Cup)
• Basement parking for 1 200 cars
• 16 lifts throughout the stadium
• 250 VIP suites
• Stadium footprint is equivalent to six city blocks and it is 50m (164ft) tall, like a 15-storey building
• Design uses natural light for ambience and to save energy; the façade is covered
with an open mesh fabric that plays with natural light
• The roof acts as acoustic damper to make the stadium ideal for music concerts
To see more of Chris’s pictures of the stadium, click here.