October 27, 2009
2009 Imvelo Responsible Tourism Awards finalists announced
The Vineyard Hotel, photo courtesy David Hewson
The 2009 Imvelo Responsible Tourism Awards finalists have been announced and they include five proud Cape Town Tourism members:
- !Khwa ttu San Culture and Education Centre at Yzerfontein
- Nkomazi Game Reserve near Badplaas
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve
- Abang Africa Travel & Trust, a tour operator in the Bo-Kaap
- Vineyard Hotel in Newlands
The awards, organised by the Federated Hospitality Association of Southern Africa, have been running for eight years. They acknowledge tourism businesses that uphold high standards of responsible practice in their social, economic and natural environments.
The award categories are:
- Best social involvement programme
- Best practice and economic impact
- Best overall environmental management system
- Best single resource management programme for energy, water and waste
- Most empowered tourism business
- Investor in people
- Overall winner
Cape Town actively promotes responsible tourism practices. Recently, Cape Town Tourism signed the Cape Town Responsible Tourism Charter as a sign of commitment to the cause.
The Imvelo winners will be announced on Responsible Tourism Day, November 11, 2009.